Question for the ortho people...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lebesgue

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in pursuing orthopedics and here is a dilemma I might face.

State school, 10K/yr

or

Top private school, 50K/yr

Does name recognition matter more than board scores, grades, LOR's, etc...

Given the chance, is the increased debt or a private school worth the any advantage for getting an orthopedic slot vs. much lower loans assuming grades and board scores being equal?

Also, does class rank weigh in much in residency placement? It might be easier to get a top position at a state school as opposed to a top private school.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I do not presume to answer the top name vs. state school debate here. That topic has been 'debated' ad nosium on this board and if past events are truly predictive of future performance we can look forward to a great many colorful if not logical replies to this post. I will post my own experiences and opinions and hope that it might give you food for thought. I chose the top private school and now that I have just finished my interviews I believe it did make a difference. It's not just a name thing. The top schools tend to have a lot of opportunities not readily available (please note I did not say 'unavailable') at most state schools. In my case these included an NIH funded research project and excellent letters from well known faculty (ortho as well as non-ortho). You still have to work hard. You still have to get a great board score. An Ivy League education is not a free ticket to a good residency! It simply gives you unique opportunities that YOU must pursue.

A final point. Going to the top school will not turn you into a prick or an unfeeling physician as some would have you believe. Just as private schools do not have a monopoly on top clinicians and researchers, state schools do not have a monopoly on caring or feeling physicians. In fact one of the strengths at a top school is the clinical experience. I think there are a great many schools that had clinical exposure that was equal to that at my school but I sincerely doubt there are many that were better. The bottom line is it is a great education and there are some unique advantages. You can still go to your state school and match well in orthopedics. Only you can decide if the additional expense is justified. Feel free to send me a private message if you want to hear more. Now bring on the mudslinging

Bonecutter

The private school might open the door to a few top academic places, if it is a top academic school as you put it, but I wouldn't spend the money if you think you will be as happy at the state school. When it comes down to it, board scores, aoa, and kicking but on away rotations is what will get you into ortho.