Question for those that Scored above 240 on Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tedebear

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for the 240+ Step 1 crowd. Even if you are just leaning at this point.

List your top 3 choices for specialties in order. Let's see what specialities the top test takers are interested in applying.

For the 2005, 2006, and 2007 crowd post your specialty of choice right now.

Members don't see this ad.

1) EM
2) :confused:
3) :(

Anyway, what's the point of this forum? If we got over a 240 do we automatically match or something? (yay!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am surprised to not see many of you guys going for plastic surgery. I heard it is the most competitive field right now, and I know it can be the most lucrative too.

I am surprised to not see many of you guys going for plastic surgery. I heard it is the most competitive field right now, and I know it can be the most lucrative too.

Have you seen plastic surgery? Many like it but I think it's really boring. You're right that it can be lucrative.

It's competitiveness has to do more with the very limited number of integrated plastics programs rather than millions of people trying to get into the field.

I'll play

1) Ophthalmology
2) Some surgical specialty
3) Some other surgical specialty
4) see above
5) etc

This is for the 240+ Step 1 crowd (2004 and 2005 exams). Even if you are just leaning at this point.

List your top 3 choices for specialties in order. Let's see what specialities the top test takers are interested in applying.

I thought it would be interesting to see if people ended up where they intended to go. I decided to stick with radiology.

For the newbies, post where you are leaning right now.

I don't think plastics is boring - you can really be creative in reconstructive surgery! If I went into surgery it would probably be that, though EM has thoroughly won my heart. Those Nip/tuck guys are sooo hot, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll go:

1) Ophthalmology
2) Ophthalmology
3) Ophthalmology

Basically ophtho or bust.

We should have an SDN get together and party it up Jan. 14. G'luck to all those applying through SF Match!

1) Radiology (Outpatient PP or Teleradiology)
2) GI (Outpatient Endoscopy Center)
3) I fcuking hate everything else

1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everything else

Haha I remember doing these kind of threads in pre-allo.

1) Neurology
2) Psychiatry
3) Diagnostic Radiology -> Neuroradiology

What can I say, I like the brain.

1) Peds or Med/Peds
2) Anesthesiology
3) Ob-Gyn

These three are the only ones I'm really interested in right now, but I'm just starting third year so things may change once I've gone through all the rotations.

nice analogy taus . . .

for me, i guess it goes like this:

1) EM
2) Anesthesiology - pain
3) pilot/hospitalist
4) some surgery subspecialty

i love medicine, i really do. but to be quite honest, i really really want a float plane and time to fly it

Here's a tentative list, in no particular order: radiology, neurology, peds. I am not interested in anything surgical at this point.

ent, neurosrg, ortho, urology, rads, plastics, dermatopath, infectious diseases

now i just gotta figure out which one of the above i enjoy most.

Don't have them ranked in any particular order but things I've considered:

Neuro/cc or consult work, pulm/CC, ID, med-peds, ENT, optho

nice analogy taus . . .

1) EM
2) Anesthesiology - pain
3) pilot/hospitalist

i love medicine, i really do. but to be quite honest, i really really want a float plane and time to fly it

you got above a 240? Congratulations how did you do it??????

well if you posted then i will too

1. Derm
2. IM- subspecialty Rheum/Infxs disease/ Heme Onc
very very very distant and only if I really really really really really like it
3. Surgery of some sort

nice analogy taus . . .

1) EM
2) Anesthesiology - pain
3) pilot/hospitalist

I wanna write and do research.... ain't EM grand? :biglove:

yep yep.

yeah izzy, i kind of forgot that this thread had a requisite to meet prior to posting. whoops :hardy:

1) Radiology 2) Rad Onc 3) IM I just really want to do radiology, I hope I don't find it completely boring when I rotate on it.

1. Pediatric surgery, or subspecialty surg like maybe ENT
2. Pathology
3. Anesthesiology

It's hard to say though - I'm still on my first rotation :)

Strong possibilities:
1) Pathology
2) Internal Medicine --> Cardiology
3) Anesthesia

1. Derm
2. Radiology
3. Optho

I probably won't even apply to derm because I'll never get in at a place I want to live. That pretty much makes it radiology.

as I told usnews&world report...it's ophtho

jk

I'm of the opinion that you do what you love...ophtho gives a great life and can be so rewarding...go for it and good luck!

1. ENT
2. ENT
3. Retirement

I got a 256. Applying to ENT in 5 weeks. :)

1). Internal Med===>Interventional Cards
2). Med-Peds
3). Internal Med===>GI

Right now I just know that I'm not interested in spending more than a day per week in clinic. Inpatient is much more interesting to me.