Question for URMs, how could the process improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingsmen2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not a troll thread, not trying to start any flame wars. I genuinely would like only those who belong to groups who are under represented in medicine to answer these questions to avoid any SDN drama. I just want a point of view from those who truly knows what its like to be a minority in the US who is URM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you think this process of recognizing groups who are under represented in medicine is doing good or harm?

How do you think this process could improve?

Is this process inherently reinforcing racial stereotypes?

Do you feel this is leveling the playing field?

P.S. I know this is a sensitive issue, just remember to be nice to people even if they disagree :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 users
Should take SES into account before race imo. Being poor stops you dead in your tracks regardless of race. Private tutors? Nah. Prep courses? Nah. Luxury of not working in undergrad? Nah. One quick call to daddy’s buddy for shadowing/letter? Nah.

Taking SES into account would benefit the majority of URM’s as is, but wouldn’t simultaneously hurt the poor ORM’s.

Poverty doesn’t discriminate based on the color of your skin and should most definitely be taken into account more than it is. (Of course with valid proof aka FAFSA).

That said, I truly do see the importance of having physicians from all backgrounds and happy it’s in place.
But at the same time it’s lame when a rich URM has significantly better chances than a poor ORM based solely on the color of their skin.

Reactions: 33 users
Members don't see this ad :)
giphy.gif

Reactions: 12 users
I am often a lurker, so I don't post often but I am going to take the time to post now. Some of your questions I was somewhat confused by and was not sure what exactly you were asking about.

1) I don't understand why recognizing groups who are underrepresented in medicine would do harm? They are underrepresented for a reason and many don't have access to adequate health care or people to advocate for them a lot of times. I would say that recognizing these groups and bringing more acknowledgment to the issue is important and I believe one way of doing this is to have more physicians from these underrepresented groups.

2) I am Navajo, and I know there were only a few hundred of applications last year from Native Americans. And in the last few decades, the number of applicants has gone down, I believe it has been cut in half. I think to improve this process is difficult. There is a reason why a lot of Navajo students don't graduate high school, let alone go on to college and a graduate-level program. I think to improve this process you have to improve the environment that these types of applicants have to survive to be able to be successful and go on to these programs. I also think that representation of these groups is important to start improving the lives of these demographics, and one way is getting physicians who are from these groups to do so. I know that some URM individuals don't have stats are great as their ORM counterparts, but usually, they have something else great about their application and more often than not they had to endure more trials than the majority of applicants.

3) I'm confused by this? Reinforcing what stereotypes exactly? And how would it reinforce these stereotypes?

4) Leveling the playing field? I worked my butt off to get where I am. I graduated at the top of my class, have great EC's, good MCAT, and did all of this while I worked full time, sometimes over 40 hours a week. I agree with the poster above, that other people have this mentality that since you are URM, you don't have to do as much. Or they think you aren't as qualified which is also hard to overcome. So I am confused by this statement as well. I think a lot of URM individuals are qualified and getting them on the path to becoming doctors so they can advocate for their people and pave the way for others, who will see them and think if they can become a doctor then why can't I? That's HUGE.

Reactions: 16 users
Should take SES into account before race imo. Being poor stops you dead in your tracks regardless of race. Private tutors? Nah. Prep courses? Nah. Luxury of not working in undergrad? Nah. One quick call to daddy’s buddy for shadowing/letter? Nah.

Taking SES into account would benefit the majority of URM’s as is, but wouldn’t simultaneously hurt the poor ORM’s.

Poverty doesn’t discriminate based on the color of your skin and should most definitely be taken into account more than it is. (Of course with valid proof aka FAFSA).

That said, I truly do see the importance of having physicians from all backgrounds and happy it’s in place.
But at the same time it’s lame when a rich URM has significantly better chances than a poor ORM based solely on the color of their skin.

As an AA, I agree with this. I believe SES is a bigger indicator of disadvantage than anything else.

Reactions: 11 users
I am often a lurker, so I don't post often but I am going to take the time to post now. Some of your questions I was somewhat confused by and was not sure what exactly you were asking about.

1) I don't understand why recognizing groups who are underrepresented in medicine would do harm? They are underrepresented for a reason and many don't have access to adequate health care or people to advocate for them a lot of times. I would say that recognizing these groups and bringing more acknowledgment to the issue is important and I believe one way of doing this is to have more physicians from these underrepresented groups.

2) I am Navajo, and I know there were only a few hundred of applications last year from Native Americans. And in the last few decades, the number of applicants has gone down, I believe it has been cut in half. I think to improve this process is difficult. There is a reason why a lot of Navajo students don't graduate high school, let alone go on to college and a graduate-level program. I think to improve this process you have to improve the environment that these types of applicants have to survive to be able to be successful and go on to these programs. I also think that representation of these groups is important to start improving the lives of these demographics, and one way is getting physicians who are from these groups to do so. I know that some URM individuals don't have stats are great as their ORM counterparts, but usually, they have something else great about their application and more often than not they had to endure more trials than the majority of applicants.

3) I'm confused by this? Reinforcing what stereotypes exactly? And how would it reinforce these stereotypes?

4) Leveling the playing field? I worked my butt off to get where I am. I graduated at the top of my class, have great EC's, good MCAT, and did all of this while I worked full time, sometimes over 40 hours a week. I agree with the poster above, that other people have this mentality that since you are URM, you don't have to do as much. Or they think you aren't as qualified which is also hard to overcome. So I am confused by this statement as well. I think a lot of URM individuals are qualified and getting them on the path to becoming doctors so they can advocate for their people and pave the way for others, who will see them and think if they can become a doctor then why can't I? That's HUGE.

Because the way of bringing in URMs is to lower the standards for them, which is unfair. This creates a stigma because people think they got in because they are ____ race. Just because you are underrrepresented doesn’t mean you are underprivileged, and just because you are overrepresented doesn’t means you are privileged. While higher test scores do not necessarily mean a certain applicant will be a better physician, it’s the metrics they’re using, so they should stick with it. Also a person’s race really has no effect whether a person will be a good doctor. At the end of the day doctors treat the body of patients, and that body is pretty consistent throughout all races and cultures.

You can use your anecdote of how you worked hard yada yada yada but it doesn’t change the fact that URMs are being admitted with much lower stats than non URMs.

Reactions: 5 users
Because the way of bringing in URMs is to lower the standards for them, which is unfair. This creates a stigma because people think they got in because they are ____ race. Just because you are underrrepresented doesn’t mean you are underprivileged, and just because you are overrepresented doesn’t means you are privileged. While higher test scores do not necessarily mean a certain applicant will be a better physician, it’s the metrics they’re using, so they should stick with it. Also a person’s race really has no effect whether a person will be a good doctor. At the end of the day doctors treat the body of patients, and that body is pretty consistent throughout all races and cultures.

You can use your anecdote of how you worked hard yada yada yada but it doesn’t change the fact that URMs are being admitted with much lower stats than non URMs.

Question but if you are a URM applying , you have a 33% chance of getting an acceptance vs an ORM who has a 40 chance of getting in. Why is that?

Reactions: 4 users
Question but if you are a URM applying , you have a 33% chance of getting an acceptance vs an ORM who has a 40 chance of getting in. Why is that?

Is this rhetorical? Also do these two have the exact same stats or just on average?

Reactions: 1 users

I agree that just because you are underrepresented doesn't mean you are underprivileged, however, there are a lot of them who are (I'm not sure if you have ever been to an Indian reservation but many live in poverty). I believe that being underprivileged should also be taken into account and that is something that people have to overcome to get on the path to medical school.

Metrics are important and I think if a URM individual gets in with a lower MCAT or GPA they were probably a great fit for that school, and like I said had other areas of their application that were great. Last year the acceptance rate for Native American applicants was 40% (If I remember correctly) so applicants who aren't qualified are being turned away. And after looking at SDN there are ORM individuals who get in with the same metrics because other parts of their application are awesome.

I agree that a person's race has no effect on whether they will be a good doctor, but being able to see people who grew up like you and you share that culture with them is important. And yes at the end of the day doctors will treat the body of patients and it is consistent across races and cultures, but like I said previously, most of these doctors aren't going to go out of their way to make a difference in the healthcare on an Indian reservation or somewhere similar. I am sure that you will get some physicians who will, but it's the kids who grew up there, who know the culture, who are Native who will go back and try and make a difference there. And I am sure this is similar to other URM groups.

I am just trying to show you why it is important to have physicians from URM groups, and I don't have lower stats than the average matriculant and had to overcome being underprivileged as well.

All I am saying is that I can see why it is frustrating to see URM individuals get in with lower metrics, but there is a reasoning behind this even if you may not agree with it.

Reactions: 3 users
Is this rhetorical? Also do these two have the exact same stats or just on average?
I believe the deeper meaning of @H20_Jay 's point is that we should ask the question of why African Americans applying to medical school have such lower stats on average.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Though your numbers are technically correct per AAMC publications, it is important make sure that you're interpreting it correctly. In 2015 for the 12k or so AAs that applied to medical school, over 50 percent of AA applicants had GPAs at or below 3.59 (and a good number of those in that GPA bracket were still accepted). SO, most AAs are being rejected simply because stats are too low. BUT, if you are an AA worth your salt (GPA > 3.6) then the chances shoot over 60%. AND this number is being skewed by the folks with low (sub 30) MCAT scores.

So while you are right with those numbers, black applicants, when compared with academically similar white applicants, have a much better shot at admission (probably approaching 30-40% better)

No denying that. Now the question is why? We fail to consider the route that those have to take to even apply to medical school?

Also would you believe that AA are given lower grades while in undergraduate for similar work? As an AA male, I can tell you that I was given an A- for work when my peer was given an A for similar quality of work. Now this is an anecdotal account, but I’m sure if you ask other URMs, they can attests to similar situations. It seems that even those in academia have implicitly bias which stifles complete fairness....

As an AA male, I can tell you that I was given an A- for work when my peer was given an A for similar quality of work. Now this is an anecdotal account, but I’m sure if you ask other URMs, they can attests to similar situations.

I’m not a URM, but I wanted to support you here. This has happened to me as a Jew, so I am sure it happens to AAs.

Reactions: 7 users
As for the points earlier about incorporating SES into admissions: there are a TON of poor white people. Significantly more than poor black people. So to focus on SES would only further reduce the number of URMs in medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
No denying that. Now the question is why? We fail to consider the route that those have to take to even apply to medical school?

Also would you believe that AA are given lower grades while in undergraduate for similar work? As an AA male, I can tell you that I was given an A- for work when my peer was given an A for similar quality of work. Now this is an anecdotal account, but I’m sure if you ask other URMs, they can attests to similar situations. It seems that even those in academia have implicitly bias which stifles complete fairness....

How similar? An A and an A- aren't exactly worlds apart. But the thing is these things are subjective. Anyone can play the victim card of "the professor is biased against blacks, asians, etc."

How similar? An A and an A- aren't exactly worlds apart. But the thing is these things are subjective. Anyone can play the victim card of "the professor is biased against blacks, asians, etc."

It definitely happens. I’m sure it’s not widespread, but it happens in ways that can be obvious.

How are you going to prove it though?

Depends on what it is. I didn’t try to prove anything when it happened to me because I didn’t care. I’d experienced it as a child too, so it wasn’t my first time.

But the point isn’t to prove it. He’s just saying that may contribute to URMs having lower stats. I don’t think it contributes that much, but it might cause someone to get a B instead of an A.

As for the points earlier about incorporating SES into admissions: there are a TON of poor white people. Significantly more than poor black people. So to focus on SES would only further reduce the number of URMs in medicine.

Hmm interesting. This may perhaps be true and I am not disagreeing with you. However, are poor whites really applying to medical schools? I think poverty kicks in way before someone is ready to apply to medical school. Let’s take the MCAT for example. The average test taker scores a 500 on the exam. The average disadvantaged applicant scores a 495. So by being disadvantaged you are scoring five points lower. You’d be super hard pressed to get into medical school with a 495, irrespective of race.

In my opinion, SES is the common denominator. The more money and education you hold, the higher your chances of a medical school acceptance. The fair thing would be to give low SES kids a boost but I think the powers that be don’t want it this way. Which is an entirely different conversation.

There are ton of poor white people, but there are also a ton of white people in America. Race is still the greatest predictor of an individual's SES in this country, as far as I'm aware..

... could be wrong and would be grateful to be shown the evidence.

There are ton of poor white people, but there are also a ton of white people in America. Race is still the greatest predictor of an individual's SES in this country, as far as I'm aware..

... could be wrong and would be grateful to be shown the evidence.
I'm not disagreeing. The percent of black or hispanic people living in poverty is approximately 20% while the percent of whites in poverty is about 9%. That still means there are twice as many white people in poverty than black people (data from here: Poverty Rate by Race/Ethnicity), and just as many white people in poverty as black/hispanic people. So by going by SES rather than race you are taking a group that is 100% URM and making it approximately 50% URM. That does not increase racial diversity of medicine (which is the goal of this policy).

Hmm interesting. This may perhaps be true and I am not disagreeing with you. However, are poor whites really applying to medical schools? I think poverty kicks in way before someone is ready to apply to medical school. Let’s take the MCAT for example. The average test taker scores a 500 on the exam. The average disadvantaged applicant scores a 495. So by being disadvantaged you are scoring five points lower. You’d be super hard pressed to get into medical school with a 495, irrespective of race.

In my opinion, SES is the common denominator. The more money and education you hold, the higher your chances of a medical school acceptance. The fair thing would be to give low SES kids a boost but I think the powers that be don’t want it this way. Which is an entirely different conversation.

I mean...isn't it kind of discriminatory to say that poor white people aren't applying to medical school? I've served on adcoms for a couple years now and read 100's of applications. I would say that, overall, the same number of white/Asian people coming from under-resourced backgrounds is equal to that of black/hispanic applicants.

Race is still the greatest predictor of an individual's SES in this country, as far as I'm aware..
I feel like the greatest predictor of an individual's SES in this country is the individual's SES.

I mean...isn't it kind of discriminatory to say that poor white people aren't applying to medical school? I've served on adcoms for a couple years now and read 100's of applications. I would say that, overall, the same number of white/Asian people coming from under-resourced backgrounds is equal to that of black/hispanic applicants.

Discriminatory no. Generalizing yes.

This. I understand people's focus on SES, and I do think a SES-based policy is ideal for our society on the basis of capitalism, but not necessarily on the basis of our current state of racial affairs. To your second question, it's really about addressing why these differences exist in the first place. The answer is not as simple as differences in economics, generational wealth, neighborhoods (Middle-Class Black Families, in Low-Income Neighborhoods) or family/social environment, though these are all important. There are issues specific to race, usually revolving around biases and stereotypes, that are going to require collective efforts to stop. That NYT article (not a black sheep study, see How Black Middle-Class Kids Become Poor Adults), current events (why have we become numb to hearing about unarmed black men being shot?), the peer-reviewed data on stereotype threat/grading biases, and hiring biases (see study on people with black-sounding names being rejected with the same qualifications) are all examples that show a race-based continuation of disparities in achievement.

If I could have a magic wand, I'd remove racism an infinite number of times over keeping our current AA policies. Unfortunately, I think the former as well as economics are causing disparities in achievement, then continuing disparities in healthcare, which repeats the cycle. It is a band-aid to a larger issue, but I don't think we can just remove the band-aid and expect things to get better. Another thing commonly forgotten in these discussions is distance traveled, and I know that idea can be less concrete to some if looked at from a race-specific way than from a SES-based way. I, however, see it clearly from my own experiences as an AA male. In terms of ideal policies today, I think a hybrid SES/race (holistic) system is the best. I think this is what most schools employ now though, but correct me if I'm wrong. I am nevertheless very open to ways to make holistic processes better. I just don't think making it only SES-based right now is necessarily the way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
This. I understand people's focus on SES, and I do think a SES-based policy is ideal for our society on the basis of capitalism, but not necessarily on the basis of our current state of racial affairs. To your second question, it's really abut addressing why these differences exist in the first place. The answer is not as simple as differences in economics, generational wealth, neighborhoods (Middle-Class Black Families, in Low-Income Neighborhoods) or family/social environment, though these are all important. There are issues specific to race, usually revolving around biases and stereotypes, that are going to require collective efforts to stop. That NYT article (not a black sheep study, see How Black Middle-Class Kids Become Poor Adults), current events (why have we become numb to hearing about unarmed black men being shot?), the peer-reviewed data on stereotype threat/grading biases, and hiring biases (see study on people with black-sounding names being rejected with the same qualifications) are all examples that show a race-based continuation of disparities in achievement.

If I could have a magic wand, I'd remove racism an infinite number of times over keeping our current AA policies. Unfortunately, I think the former as well as economics are causing disparities in achievement, then continuing disparities in healthcare, which repeats the cycle. It is a band-aid to a larger issue, but I don't think we can just remove the band-aid and expect things to get better. Another thing commonly forgotten in these discussion is distance traveled, and I know that idea can be less concrete to some if looked at from a race-specific way than in a SES-based way. I, however, see it clearly from my own experiences as an AA male. In terms of ideal policies today, I think a hybrid SES/race (holistic) system is the best. I think this is what most schools employ now though, but correct me if I'm wrong . I am nevertheless very open to ways to make holistic processes better. I just don't think making it only SES-based right now is necessarily the way to go.

Thank you!!

This is obviously a sensitive issue, and I absolutely believe that there is utility in implementing affirmative action. However, I will say that it is pretty frustrating how 1) many URMs use their status as a cop-out and don't work as hard. 2) Because many URMs are admitted with egregiously lower statistics than their asian or white counterparts, even high-performing URMs become a bit stigmatized. I have personally experienced #2 - I have worked my tail off in UG for the past 4 years and my stats are on par with some of your better white applicants, however I have had some people say "Oh, well you will get into medical school because you are URM". This is super frustrating. And I KNOW that many perfectly capable URMs underperform and don't actually have any excuse to be underperforming. I myself grew up in a single-parent household, I'm a first-gen college student, AA, but I have done my best to perform on par with or better than my peers.

Is it leveling the playing field? Absolutely for some -- there are definitely folks that need the affirmative action advantage. But really--from what I have gleaned--it is lowering the standard.

I think the URMs you are talking about that don't work as hard are in the media. Because in real life (or maybe I should say academia), the held belief is that URMs, particularly black women (the most educated demographic), have to work twice as hard to get where their white and male counterparts are. And the higher you want to climb the harder you work. It's important to realize as well that some people getting lower scores are doing so for other reasons outside of "not working hard". Not having enough time to adequately prepare because you work ___ jobs to have money to support yourself and/or family; not having enough money to get extra help/tutoring because the jobs you are able to get are sub-par; not having role models/networks/advocates to put in a good word for you (because let's be real that's how a lot of some of the others you mentioned are succeeding, for example more than 50% of my med school class has at least 1 parent that is a physician many of whom are attendings affiliated with the school...). When you combine all these issues that also puts a unique emotional and mental strain that makes it difficult to score as high as one could, then add on top of that another factor not specific to URMs but still worth mentioning: test anxiety.
Also, reality check: as an AA person in America, people will always think less of you even if you ascend to the level of POTUS or whatever top position. Before you even open your mouth to speak they'll form judgments. That's no reason for you to feel stigmatized or that you can't keep pushing towards your goals. The value of the work you've put in is not reduced just because someone doesn't acknowledge it or their jealousy makes them feel the need to put your work down; let your results speak for themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
This. I understand people's focus on SES, and I do think a SES-based policy is ideal for our society on the basis of capitalism, but not necessarily on the basis of our current state of racial affairs. To your second question, it's really abut addressing why these differences exist in the first place. The answer is not as simple as differences in economics, generational wealth, neighborhoods (Middle-Class Black Families, in Low-Income Neighborhoods) or family/social environment, though these are all important. There are issues specific to race, usually revolving around biases and stereotypes, that are going to require collective efforts to stop. That NYT article (not a black sheep study, see How Black Middle-Class Kids Become Poor Adults), current events (why have we become numb to hearing about unarmed black men being shot?), the peer-reviewed data on stereotype threat/grading biases, and hiring biases (see study on people with black-sounding names being rejected with the same qualifications) are all examples that show a race-based continuation of disparities in achievement.

If I could have a magic wand, I'd remove racism an infinite number of times over keeping our current AA policies. Unfortunately, I think the former as well as economics are causing disparities in achievement, then continuing disparities in healthcare, which repeats the cycle. It is a band-aid to a larger issue, but I don't think we can just remove the band-aid and expect things to get better. Another thing commonly forgotten in these discussions is distance traveled, and I know that idea can be less concrete to some if looked at from a race-specific way than from a SES-based way. I, however, see it clearly from my own experiences as an AA male. In terms of ideal policies today, I think a hybrid SES/race (holistic) system is the best. I think this is what most schools employ now though, but correct me if I'm wrong. I am nevertheless very open to ways to make holistic processes better. I just don't think making it only SES-based right now is necessarily the way to go.

Things to consider when thinking about why these SES disparities exist:
- less opportunities in the lower end communities, which a good percentage of African Americans can be found in
- less funding in black communities
- learning that all your classmates get put on ADHD meds when they misbehave, but you simply get beat with a belt and told to correct yourself.
- lack of good influences for black children to look up to
- seeing a KKK rally in public, and then having to explain to your curious child whats going on
- school districts and home environments (see history on redlining and gentrification)
- god forbid you have a different sounding first name that deviates from the European norm when you're trying to get a job.
- large percentage of people living below the poverty line
- parents & grandparents who grew up during times of racial strife
- very few African American role models who aren't Athletes musicians or entertainers
- turning on the news everyday to see someone who looks like you being abused or killed, and the person who did it being put on payed leave
- Judicial system
- defeatist personality issues
- being told by the "leaders" in the black community to go out and buy albums and clothes instead of land
- parents who only took you to the doctor when they had to because they were still sketched out from the way white people treated them growing up
- always being depicted as criminals and thugs in the media
- learning in school about how you're a descendant of a group of people who were kidnapped, raped, beaten and sold into slavery for centuries
- seeing a picture of a black person every time the media mentions welfare, despite, majority of the users of these programs not being people of color

Reactions: 15 users
Things to consider when thinking about why these SES disparities exist:
- less opportunities in the lower end communities, which a good percentage of African Americans can be found in
- less funding in black communities
- learning that all your classmates get put on ADHD meds when they misbehave, but you simply get beat with a belt and told to correct yourself.
- lack of good influences for black children to look up to
- seeing a KKK rally in public, and then having to explain to your curious child whats going on
- school districts and home environments (see history on redlining and gentrification)
- god forbid you have a different sounding first name that deviates from the European norm when you're trying to get a job.
- large percentage of people living below the poverty line
- parents & grandparents who grew up during times of racial strife
- very few African American role models who aren't Athletes musicians or entertainers
- turning on the news everyday to see someone who looks like you being abused or killed, and the person who did it being put on payed leave
- Judicial system
- defeatist personality issues
- being told by the "leaders" in the black community to go out and buy albums and clothes instead of land
- parents who only took you to the doctor when they had to because they were still sketched out from the way white people treated them growing up
- always being depicted as criminals and thugs in the media
- learning in school about how you're a descendant of a group of people who were kidnapped, raped, beaten and sold into slavery for centuries
- seeing a picture of a black person every time the media mentions welfare, despite, majority of the users of these programs not being people of color

FACTS! #3 is absolute truth; before last year I used to think it was a myth or not that prevalent but then I found out that so many of my classmates got prescriptions to "get them ahead". Which, if you think about it, only works to undermine URMs even more because then their (those getting prescriptions) stats are artificially inflated

I'd encourage everyone here to go watch the movie Netflix short film "Heroin(e)". It shows the reality of what life is like in states like West Virginia. West Virginia is 94% white. While I agree with what many are saying about race and SES going hand in hand.. I think it's important to be aware of both sides and especially as many of you guys will be working with some patients from that population. It's only 39 minutes and worth every bit to watch. Educational in more ways than one.

edit: Seriously watch that ish and tell me how exactly any kid born into that should be on par with the rich ivy league prods.

Last edited:
FACTS! #3 is absolute truth; before last year I used to think it was a myth or not that prevalent but then I found out that so many of my classmates got prescriptions to "get them ahead". Which, if you think about it, only works to undermine URMs even more because then their (those getting prescriptions) stats are artificially inflated

Undermine any kid that can't afford to see a physician to receive treatment** not just URMs. So now the ORM kid not only can't get meds, but now ALSO expected to perform at astronomical levels. Getting slapped twice.

Up until maybe 5 or 6 decades ago, people of color(mainly African Americans) have been oppressed. Most of American history is the mistreatment of some kind of minority. After centuries of mistreatment, people expect the community to be back on their feet and ready to go after 1 or 2 generations? If that was the case, Native Americans would be thriving, and have a vastly expanding population across the nation, but we all know how that turned out.

In about 30 or 40 years from now, people will be complaining about why Hispanics aren't doing so well, while forgetting the prejudice they are facing right now and forgetting that a lot of their parents are currently being stripped away and deported."why don't we have more Latino doctors? Maybe, they don't work as hard as us." That could be it, or maybe a good chunk of them grew up watching the news and being told "go back to Mexico". Perhaps they grew up without their parents because ICE took them away. Perhaps someone who went to a rally started discriminating against people named " Felipe" or "Juan". Regardless the reason, you can't sit here and say Hispanics (mainly Mexicans) are being treated or depicted in a positive way. The treatment they are receiving now, will impact the success of this and the next generation.

Even with Affirmative Action, and URM getting special consideration, African American med students only make up 7% of med Students. Hispanics only make up 6%. The rest of those seats are occupied usually by whites, Asians, and other white people who didn't want to identify as white on their application. Despite, having more than 6 times the amount representation of an URM, you still have people arguing and fighting against URMs holding those 4 or 6 seats out of a class of 260 students. Centuries spent putting down a group of people, and then 1 or 2 generations gets just a smidgen of some assistance or uplifting, which most of them aren't even using and there has to be a debate about it? You might have a few outliers who were able to exceed, despite the cards they were dealt, but they are exceptions. Not everyone can be an exception.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
There are plenty of AAs who are still distrustful of medicine in general, and they are why we need more AA physicians/HCPs regardless of stats. When I worked in the rural South, I had several patients refuse to let me touch them because I'm white. This has happened within the past couple of years, so I'm not talking ages ago. One patient in particular put lots of expletives in there but the points she made about my people experimenting on her people were solid. It's a little too much extrapolation to assume every white healthcare professional is experimenting on every black patient, but some patients still believe it, especially way out there in the boondocks.

AAs have disproportionately high levels of diabetes, hypertension, and kidney disease, among others. In addition to our healthy foods being expensive and the overall AA population being poorer, I have no doubt some of this comes from them refusing to go see white, Asian, or Hispanic doctors. They want doctors who look like them, because many feel like they can only trust other AAs. It might be a touch aggravating for the rest of us, especially when it comes to med school admissions, but they are still US citizens and their healthcare is still paid for by Medicare/Medicaid just like everyone else's who qualifies for those programs... so they need doctors they are going to be willing to see, not just whatever doctors were the most qualified according to their stats to get into medical schools.

Reactions: 8 users
Because the way of bringing in URMs is to lower the standards for them, which is unfair.

Unfair? Unfair to who exactly? You? Hate to break it to you but life gets a lot more unfair the older you get. Medical schools don't exist to be fair to you. Welcome to the real world.

While higher test scores do not necessarily mean a certain applicant will be a better physician, it’s the metrics they’re using, so they should stick with it.
No it isn't the metric they are using, its simply part of a much larger application. Those test scores have extensive data behind them to show that someone with a 500 is equally as likely to pass boards and graduate medical school as someone with a 520.

Also a person’s race really has no effect whether a person will be a good doctor. At the end of the day doctors treat the body of patients, and that body is pretty consistent throughout all races and cultures.

True, but race has a big difference on how certain patient populations react to their doctors. If you think the doctor only treats the bodies of patients then you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the field of medicine.

but it doesn’t change the fact that URMs are being admitted with much lower stats than non URMs.

Yes and for good reason, this country needs URM's as physicians a hell of a lot more than it needs you as one. These lower stat applicants still meet the metrics that research show are just as capable as those with higher stats.

Reactions: 12 users
This is obviously a sensitive issue, and I absolutely believe that there is utility in implementing affirmative action. However, I will say that it is pretty frustrating how 1) many URMs use their status as a cop-out and don't work as hard. 2) Because many URMs are admitted with egregiously lower statistics than their asian or white counterparts, even high-performing URMs become a bit stigmatized. I have personally experienced #2 - I have worked my tail off in UG for the past 4 years and my stats are on par with some of your better white applicants, however I have had some people say "Oh, well you will get into medical school because you are URM". This is super frustrating. And I KNOW that many perfectly capable URMs underperform and don't actually have any excuse to be underperforming. I myself grew up in a single-parent household, I'm a first-gen college student, AA, but I have done my best to perform on par with or better than my peers.

Is it leveling the playing field? Absolutely for some -- there are definitely folks that need the affirmative action advantage. But really--from what I have gleaned--it is lowering the standard.

1. How can you say “many” based on your friends? I’ve literally never heard anyone say, “Hey, I’m URM so I’m not even going to try hard to earn good grades/MCAT because I’ll get in regardless”. You serious? You acknowledged many factors that influence academic performance, but somehow it boils down to URMs not thinking they have to try?

2. Guess what? URMs been stigmatized. Regardless of their grades so don’t even try to blame it on URMs with lower scores.

3. Lowering the standard of what? Admission standards per racial group? Sure, becauae if only rockstar stats were accepted than there would be even less URMs. . . Which is the entire point of this? The standard of competent physicians? Not at all. Last I checked there is no URM boost when it comes to the Steps.

1. Okay true - plain and simple.

2. I know that URMs have been stigmatized - I'M AN AA MALE. BUT GUESS WHAT, the stigma of the past was...plain racism? The current stigma stems from URMs being admitted with patently lower statistics than their ORM counterparts, on average. The latter was the stigma that I was referring to above. You are literally making a straw man argument and ignoring reality (or perhaps just don't interact with enough ORMs) if you actually think that lower average URM stats don't bring ADDITIONAL stigma to all URMs.

3. I wasn't questioning the standard of competent physicians. I'm well aware of data showing little correlation between physician competency and MCAT (though there is a correlation between MCAT and Step scores but that's irrelevant).

2. I guess I don’t see how it matters what else it (arguably) stems from when the reason the stigma arose is still prevalent. It’s unavoidable at this point in time regardless of how other URMs live their lives. Anyone that’s paid attention in a sociology class understands why admissions committees accept minorities with lower stats. To cater to ignorant people that don’t understand this and get mad at your own for supposedly doing poorly on purpose is beyond me. You gotta try to focus on what you think about yourself, not what others may think.

3. You didn’t seem aware nor did you answer the question, but cool :) What are you upset about then?

To send passive aggressive remarks and call one of your own "ignorant" for having a slightly different opinion is honestly beyond me. You must not know the definition of ignorant.

2. You don't see how it matters what else the stigma arises from? You have to be kidding me. Is that going to be your approach as a physician? Just treat the symptoms? Of course not! Identifying the root of problems - stigmas included - allows for discourse on how the issues can be solved. And I'm sorry, but I know that so many AA activists would be rolling in their graves if they heard that sort of defeatist tone. I honestly think that the problem can (with time, of course) be solved. Also, your comment subtly undermines the purpose and trajectory of affirmative action in the future - if efforts to increase URM representation in medicine pay off, we might be looking at a situation where some of the aforementioned stigma might lose its basis. By suggesting that this is unavoidable, though, you're kind of conceding that the program that you're defending (and which I DO support) is not effective. Look at the progress that has been made over even the past 50 years vis-a-vis social justice! You call that nothing?

And believe it or not, even URMs that have taken (and received an A in) a sociology course CAN understand the purpose of affirmative action and still argue from a slightly different perspective.

3. I was aware - I just didn't specify. And... ummm.... I did answer the question? By disagreeing with your 2nd suggestion you should have been able to infer that I was agreeing with the first.

I'm not upset about anything at all. Actually I am enjoying the discussion! Just wish you wouldn't label me as ignorant simply because I think that affirmative action breeds stigmatization. It's funny that you value diversity of race but not diversity of opinion. js

I didn’t call you anything first of all. I had to stop reading there. It seems to me that you just wanna fight. I’m not even sure that you understand my stance. Let’s agree to disagree.

Great discussion, happy to my see fellow students of color approaching this topic constructively. Keep it civil or I will have to close this thread.

I have a couple of things to add, speaking as Lucca now and not as a mod (or for SDN):

1. Racism exists, and the US is a racist country. Racism is not a pathology of individuals but a structural fact, like a hologram, that emerges from the relations and power transactions that occur between individuals, groups, institutions.

2. To answer the OP I think that “AA” (Med schools don’t use the same AA practiced in UG, but it’s a good enough shorthand) is a bandaid solution to a much deeper and complex problem that they have no way of directly tackling.

To answer the second question in the Op: I used to feel that benefiting from AA somehow devalued me in the eyes of my peers or gave me something further to prove to show that I “deserved” to be where I was or the accolades I won. I don’t feel this way anymore for 2 reasons:

A) if people think less of me just because I benefited from affirmative action without knowing anything else about me then that’s racist pure and simple and the goal of affirmative action (or diversity in education period) is not to make racist people less racist. I’ve had this occur sooo many times, from people saying I got a scholarship just because of my last name (and not, say, 99th percentile SAT and ACTs) to a teacher not recommending me for an advanced course in mathematics because “while I was good at math for an Hispanic” she did not feel I was “a hard enough worker” to succeed in that course. I went over her head, took it, and got an A. I see this kind of thing all the time on SDN, in this very thread even: the assumption that people of color don’t work hard even if they are able to achieve at the same level as anybody else, or without having any concrete knowledge of their achievements to begin with.

I also think it’s really weird and kind of sinister that people will say “aren’t you afraid people will think less of your achievements for being a student of color?” right after they automatically assume less of your achievements for being a student of color. You can’t control what people think nor should your or anyone really care because what others think of you has very little to do with education or your livelihood or anything. The work is the thing.

B) everyone deserves access to education and it should be universal. Humans are creative beings and education gives us the tool to make the most of our labor or change what we do with our lives. Nobody “deserves” to be anywhere more than anyone else. The scarcity of educational resources that drives competition is artificial and should not exist. There should not be a single concentrated period of time to be educated, but education should be free and liberal and either focused and academic or deeply technical and practical, or both, but everyone should have the opportunity to pursue it whenever they want. Utopian, I know, but at the heart of it is a simple idea: there is no deserve, there is only can you succeed at what you set out to do or not and while educational resources are artificially scarce and racism and segregation persist in the US, then efforts should be made to ensure people of color are well represented (and are they? Texas is 20% Black but my undergrad was less than 10% Black in spite of AA). In medical school, the vast majority of URMs are able to graduate and become physicians. That’s the goal of med school, not to exclusicely accept people so wickedly academic that they don’t even need lectures or guidance or anything other than coffee and access to a library to learn material.

3. SES: AAMC issues guidelines on how to use SES in admissions. It’s definitely already a factor, regardless of the applicant’s race. I’m sure that when Paul Farmer applied to Duke and Harvard Med the fact that he grew up in an abandoned bus had a lot to do with how closely his application was read. Same goes for Dr. Q going from undocumented immigrant to med student vs. any other Hispanic applicant who came from privilege; there are definitely degrees and being a URM is not in and of itself a golden key to academia. I know plenty of URMs with lower stars who have had to take postbaccs and reapply or go for different careers. Also, AAMC also has released data on SES breakdowns by ethnicity and race. I can look for it later but I’ll tell you that in spite of lower SES whites being a numerically larger group that minorities are more likely to come from lower SES.

4. I think that Asians are being unfairly discriminated against in many cases because there are very large communities of Filipino, Vietnamese and other non SE Asian minority groups that need docs, healthcare workers but at many schools all Asians are lumped together into one big category. Always seemed like a really weird thing to do for a continent that has nearly half the worlds population. Also, I think that Asians are often used as scapegoats by actual white supremacists and well-meaning but confused white people to say that higher education is racist. The existence of, say, something like quotas for Asians is 100%, definitely discriminatory, but the destruction of these quotas does not necessarily mean ending AA altogether. That option is of course never considered because the ultimate pervading fear, in my opinion, driving political efforts to undermine AA is a fear of whites being pushed out of a well regarded, stable, upwardly mobile, lucrative profession because they have a racist impression of Asians as robotic hyperacjievers they could never possibly compete with. Maybe this is an American complex leftover from losing to rice farmers in Vietnam or slowly ceding the world economy to China, who knows. I’ve lived across the pond for half a year now and I’ve never heard someone talk about Asians in higher education the way they do in the US.

Reactions: 16 users
Great discussion, happy to my see fellow students of color approaching this topic constructively. Keep it civil or I will have to close this thread.

I have a couple of things to add, speaking as Lucca now and not as a mod (or for SDN):

1. Racism exists, and the US is a racist country. Racism is not a pathology of individuals but a structural fact, like a hologram, that emerges from the relations and power transactions that occur between individuals, groups, institutions.

2. To answer the OP I think that “AA” (Med schools don’t use the same AA practiced in UG, but it’s a good enough shorthand) is a bandaid solution to a much deeper and complex problem that they have no way of directly tackling.

To answer the second question in the Op: I used to feel that benefiting from AA somehow devalued me in the eyes of my peers or gave me something further to prove to show that I “deserved” to be where I was or the accolades I won. I don’t feel this way anymore for 2 reasons:

A) if people think less of me just because I benefited from affirmative action without knowing anything else about me then that’s racist pure and simple and the goal of affirmative action (or diversity in education period) is not to make racist people less racist. I’ve had this occur sooo many times, from people saying I got a scholarship just because of my last name (and not, say, 99th percentile SAT and ACTs) to a teacher not recommending me for an advanced course in mathematics because “while I was good at math for an Hispanic” she did not feel I was “a hard enough worker” to succeed in that course. I went over her head, took it, and got an A. I see this kind of thing all the time on SDN, in this very thread even: the assumption that people of color don’t work hard even if they are able to achieve at the same level as anybody else, or without having any concrete knowledge of their achievements to begin with.

I also think it’s really weird and kind of sinister that people will say “aren’t you afraid people will think less of your achievements for being a student of color?” right after they automatically assume less of your achievements for being a student of color. You can’t control what people think nor should your or anyone really care because what others think of you has very little to do with education or your livelihood or anything. The work is the thing.

B) everyone deserves access to education and it should be universal. Humans are creative beings and education gives us the tool to make the most of our labor or change what we do with our lives. Nobody “deserves” to be anywhere more than anyone else. The scarcity of educational resources that drives competition is artificial and should not exist. There should not be a single concentrated period of time to be educated, but education should be free and liberal and either focused and academic or deeply technical and practical, or both, but everyone should have the opportunity to pursue it whenever they want. Utopian, I know, but at the heart of it is a simple idea: there is no deserve, there is only can you succeed at what you set out to do or not and while educational resources are artificially scarce and racism and segregation persist in the US, then efforts should be made to ensure people of color are well represented (and are they? Texas is 20% Black but my undergrad was less than 10% Black in spite of AA). In medical school, the vast majority of URMs are able to graduate and become physicians. That’s the goal of med school, not to exclusicely accept people so wickedly academic that they don’t even need lectures or guidance or anything other than coffee and access to a library to learn material.

3. SES: AAMC issues guidelines on how to use SES in admissions. It’s definitely already a factor, regardless of the applicant’s race. I’m sure that when Paul Farmer applied to Duke and Harvard Med the fact that he grew up in an abandoned bus had a lot to do with how closely his application was read. Same goes for Dr. Q going from undocumented immigrant to med student vs. any other Hispanic applicant who came from privilege; there are definitely degrees and being a URM is not in and of itself a golden key to academia. I know plenty of URMs with lower stars who have had to take postbaccs and reapply or go for different careers. Also, AAMC also has released data on SES breakdowns by ethnicity and race. I can look for it later but I’ll tell you that in spite of lower SES whites being a numerically larger group that minorities are more likely to come from lower SES.

4. I think that Asians are being unfairly discriminated against in many cases because there are very large communities of Filipino, Vietnamese and other non SE Asian minority groups that need docs, healthcare workers but at many schools all Asians are lumped together into one big category. Always seemed like a really weird thing to do for a continent that has nearly half the worlds population. Also, I think that Asians are often used as scapegoats by actual white supremacists and well-meaning but confused white people to say that higher education is racist. The existence of, say, something like quotas for Asians is 100%, definitely discriminatory, but the destruction of these quotas does not necessarily mean ending AA altogether. That option is of course never considered because the ultimate pervading fear, in my opinion, driving political efforts to undermine AA is a fear of whites being pushed out of a well regarded, stable, upwardly mobile, lucrative profession because they have a racist impression of Asians as robotic hyperacjievers they could never possibly compete with. Maybe this is an American complex leftover from losing to rice farmers in Vietnam or slowly ceding the world economy to China, who knows. I’ve lived across the pond for half a year now and I’ve never heard someone talk about Asians in higher education the way they do in the US.

F.A.C.T.S

Marry me, non mod Lucca.

Status
Not open for further replies.