Question for you Premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nazmar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of torn between Physical Therapy and going to Med
School. I'm afraid of going for Med School because I just dont know if I can do it. Part of me thinks anyone who works dilligently and hard enough can get anything they want. Another part Is just negative. I suppose it has a lot to do with the fact that I didn't do well in high school (didn't take it seriously enough) and I'm at a community college (where I'm doing quite well so far) but
I'm being held back because I'm taking remedial math courses...always struggled with math, but I'm working hard, improving vastly. As a matter of fact, I've realized it wasn't
Math that was hard, it was me not caring.

But, I have a 3.7 right now. Big improvement on te 2.2 I graduated HS with in '11.

My question is, did any of you Premeds that are going or in Med School feel the same way or have the same or worse struggles? What did you do about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey there. I'm new to the forums but your post caught my eye since I was/am in a similar situation as you are. I did pretty bad in high school and after (was an art major) due to a combination of my personal attitude, medical issues that had not been diagnosed, trauma and family medical issues. I had roughly a 2.6 in high school when I graduated back in 07. Last year I decided I wanted and was ready to go back to school so I started in community college with the intent of getting an RN nursing degree.
Half way through I decided that I really wanted to go med school. I finished the year with a 3.76 GPA and have now transferred to a 4 year university as a bio major.

What I would say is take a good look at pre-med curriculum. How many years more are you willing to put in with a lot of hard work? (I'm doing 3 with 18 hours each semester to catch up) How comfortable are you with science classes? If you really want to go pre-med and are willing to put the work in then go for it. I struggled a lot with the "I can't do it thoughts" but after a while I proved to myself that I can do it. I say try, take some of the undergrad stuff, you can always switch majors if you find it is something you are not as interested in as you thought before. Also if you want to go pre-med, get yourself into a university first and foremost.
That is my opinion at least. I'm not the greatest optimist but I have come to believe that if there is something you want to do in life and you are willing to do just about anything to get it/there then by all means go for it. Better to have tried and failed then not have tried at all.

HS sucked for me. I got over it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kind of torn between Physical Therapy and going to Med
School. I'm afraid of going for Med School because I just dont know if I can do it. Part of me thinks anyone who works dilligently and hard enough can get anything they want. Another part Is just negative. I suppose it has a lot to do with the fact that I didn't do well in high school (didn't take it seriously enough) and I'm at a community college (where I'm doing quite well so far) but
I'm being held back because I'm taking remedial math courses...always struggled with math, but I'm working hard, improving vastly. As a matter of fact, I've realized it wasn't
Math that was hard, it was me not caring.

But, I have a 3.7 right now. Big improvement on te 2.2 I graduated HS with in '11.

My question is, did any of you Premeds that are going or in Med School feel the same way or have the same or worse struggles? What did you do about it?

Don't let your high school experience define you. I graduated with a 2.3 GPA and that was by cheating and doing the bare minimum through all my classes. College is a different game and successful people in high school may not do well and the weak students in high school may suddenly become successful. Base your decision on your first two years of college, not your high school years.

And yeah, the low amount of effort that I gave in high school came back to bite me but it just took a lot of effort to make up for it (math was the problem for me as well).

I was a terrible high school student and I'm carrying a 3.7 right now in my junior year. I'll let you know how that is after I finish org and physics haha. Anyway, I have a few friends who are PT's now and they don't have the best things to say about their jobs. They are plenty happy with their education but are feeling pretty burnt out in their careers. Its not from working a lot, its from doing the same thing day in and day out with not a lot of "new" stuff coming up. I can't speak for every PT, I'm sure some love their jobs. But that was my deciding factor between doing PT and medical school. Have you investigated the PA route also?

Reading your stories/advice makes me feel loads better. I'd say I'm pretty comfortable with science, a bit apprehensive of Chem and Physics as well though for obvious reasons lol. I've thought of the PA route, but I was given advice that PA is for more seasoned veterans of the healthcare industry and that if one is young enough and enjoys medicine, then that one should try Med School.

As for the time, I love to learn- especially if it's something like this that interests me. It's funny, I bored my girlfriend to death the other day explaining to her the basics of how a heart attack happens with the absolute worst drawings known to man kind, lol. I just feel that I would enjoy this even if it took an entirety to learn (which, in essence I guess it could)... And I've been selling myself short for so long, telling myself I can't do certain things, completely voiding the idea of working hard to attain a goal.

It's great to see others have had the same trials as I am.

Dude I was a smart kid in HS and in College, and I even still had these doubts. Don't let them get in the way, just pursue whatever dreams you want to. It's all in your head.

I was PA route at first, got my EMT-B to get my feet wet. I decided against PA after a while and went pre-med But I'm still happy with the choice, I'll be able to put a year and a half of clinical experience on my application. Also, I've learned drugs, IV's, cardiac, pumps/vents, etc from medics. The PA vs MD/DO route has many different comparisons. Its mostly the lifestyle and how much liability do you want. Plus the salary issue, too.

As far as your studies go, don't let people "scare" you with chem and physics. Don't get me wrong they are a bear, but use your science center/tutors at school, start study groups and prioritize your studies vs. other things. Its totally do-able as you can see by the success stories on these boards. I hope you choose to do what you want vs. what others couldn't do. But once you do, kick ass every day and next thing you know you'll be celebrating that acceptance letter. Good luck to you.

You heard it here. ShenanigansMD was a smart kid in HS and college.

Haha yes, as a typical engineering I like to brag about lame things like being smart, when I really should be working on my social skills.

The more I read here, the better I feel. I have another question: how should I begin? I've read that I shouldn't take prerequisites at the CC but that's where I am starting now. Also, when I transfer, would it be better for me to transfer to a CSU or a UC school? (I'm in California)

I was a terrible high school student and I'm carrying a 3.7 right now in my junior year. I'll let you know how that is after I finish org and physics haha. Anyway, I have a few friends who are PT's now and they don't have the best things to say about their jobs. They are plenty happy with their education but are feeling pretty burnt out in their careers. Its not from working a lot, its from doing the same thing day in and day out with not a lot of "new" stuff coming up. I can't speak for every PT, I'm sure some love their jobs. But that was my deciding factor between doing PT and medical school. Have you investigated the PA route also?

I agree. I was looking into PT as well. Although it can be very rewarding, like being a Physician, I just would get bored teaching and doing the same exercises everyday. Whereas, being a Physician, you have more responsibilities, different diagnoses, more autonomy, etc. I too was not that good in high school and actually had a bad freshman year ( due to working full time and other personal issues) but best believe I turned it around and got on a full ride scholarship and graduated on time. If you believe, you can achieve : )