Question from AAMC 6

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phattestlewt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A question in AAMC 6 on BS used Ar3C-X as an example.
After looking through the answer exp, Ar apparently is a Phenyl group, and not Argon as I had thought.

What's up with that? Seems pretty bizarre, has anyone seen it before?

I missed this question because I was considering Ar's reactivity and not a phenyl group's reactivity.

Members don't see this ad.

Ahh, you're right, I don't think they test aromatic chemistry, but it was just weird seeing that notation.

Ar = aromatic group

All depends on context, obviously. For Orgo, it's 99% of the time going to be aromatic or explicitly mentioned otherwise.

And just because the AAMC no longer lists aromatics on their topic list doesn't mean they cannot be included on your test. You can get a question with sufficient background information to get it right AND there are still viable standalone questions that you are expected to know. You don't need to worry too much about aromatic reactions though (that's why they removed).

Argon is a noble gas with preference to it's already stable state. Regardless of mistake, you should know a decent amount about noble gases. It's on the outline.