Question from Next Step 2000Q workbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junemcat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there's a psy problem in the workbook, it goes like this:

As a class of psychoactive drug, stimulants:
I. can promote the release of neurotransmitters
II. can reduce the release pf neurotransmitters
III. can inhibit the absorption of neurotransmitters
IV. cause suppression of cerebellar activity

a. I, III
b. II, III
c. I, II, III
d. I, II , III, IV

So, normally, I picked A. But the explanation says that " stimulants possess multiple mechanisms of action, including both the simulation and inhibition of NT release along with the inhibition of neurotransmitter re-absorption".

HMMM...stimulants...reduce the release of neurotransmitters?

Anyone care to explain?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @junemcat ,

Thanks for the question! The idea here is that stimulants are defined as such by their physiological effects, and that stimulatory effects can be exerted either by upregulating stimulatory processes (w/ amphetamines being a classic example) or by downregulating inhibitory processes (w/ examples including caffeine, an adenosine receptor antagonist, and GABA receptor antagonists). Hope this is helpful & best of luck studying!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @junemcat ,

Thanks for the question! The idea here is that stimulants are defined as such by their physiological effects, and that stimulatory effects can be exerted either by upregulating stimulatory processes (w/ amphetamines being a classic example) or by downregulating inhibitory processes (w/ examples including caffeine, an adenosine receptor antagonist, and GABA receptor antagonists). Hope this is helpful & best of luck studying!

Ok. Yeah. That makes more sense. Thanks for the answer!