1. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

question from OAT Practice Exam

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by topdent1, Jun 17, 2008.

1. topdent1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Chlorine bleaches are solutions that contain approximately 5% NaClO. These solutions are

A. slightly acidic.
    B. strongly acidic.
    C. neutral.
    D. slightly basic.
    E. strongly basic.

The answer is D. Care to explain why? I though ClO4 was a strong acid.

2. osimsDDS

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    NaClO is a salt (conjugate base of a weak acid HClO)...Basically you started out like this:

HClO (hypochlorous acid) + NaOH -----> NaClO (conjugate base of a weak acid) + H20

The solution consists of HClO which is a weak acid and NaOH which is a strong base...weak acid + strong base = basic solution

Now to distinguish between D and E, slightly basic vs strongly basic I have no idea how you would be able to know that...maybe someone else can help

3. Glycogen

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I chose d b/c as you mentioned it is a weak base,this (being weak base) and mentioning 5% will let us to conclude that it is slightly basic,I think.

4. vvvv

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ClO- will hydrolyze water. ClO- + HOH = HClO + OH- this is slightly basic...

5. shoombol tallah

shoombol tallah Big Boy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think the OP is confusing ClO4(Perchlorate) with ClO(hypochlorite) . If the solution formed HCl04 instead of HClO then your right it would have been acid. When comparing oxyacids the more oxygens you have the strong the acid. For exampl HClO4>HClO3>HCl02>HClO. Hope that helps :)