Question if EC's are enough

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatshouldiD.O.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, fellow SDN'ers. Sorry to bother everyone but I have been feeling hesitant and confused. My sGPA is a 3.55 and cGPA of about 3.45, and I received an MCAT score of 505. I am going to apply this upcoming cycle(2017-2018). However, I do not know if my EC's are enough. I will have 200+ hours of volunteering at an hospital, around 200 hours working as a PCA, and 80+ hours of shadowing, in addition to some other small time things. I was hoping to get some feedback on whether or not this is enough to apply. I will be working as a PCA during the cycle as well. Thank you for your time and good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
IMO you should work on getting as much clinical experience as you can before you apply.

I would try to get a part time job in a hospital or clinic somewhere. Your ECs are pretty good, but clinical experience is a must. You have to be able to convince schools that you know what you are getting yourself into, and the best way to do that pre-interview is with racking up those hours in the healthcare field.

My goal for physician shadowing was 100 hours... I don't think you need that much, but if you can, try to sneak in a little bit more physician shadowing when you can.

Also, if you can get some exposure to research I would do that. It's not as big of a deal to DO schools, but it is nice to be able to say you have at least tried it out.

Your stats are great! You should receive plenty of interviews if you get your clinical experience hours up.

Reactions: 1 user
IMO you should work on getting as much clinical experience as you can before you apply.

I would try to get a part time job in a hospital or clinic somewhere. Your ECs are pretty good, but clinical experience is a must. You have to be able to convince schools that you know what you are getting yourself into, and the best way to do that pre-interview is with racking up those hours in the healthcare field.

My goal for physician shadowing was 100 hours... I don't think you need that much, but if you can, try to sneak in a little bit more physician shadowing when you can.

Also, if you can get some exposure to research I would do that. It's not as big of a deal to DO schools, but it is nice to be able to say you have at least tried it out.

Your stats are great! You should receive plenty of interviews if you get your clinical experience hours up.

Thank you for your response! Really appreciate it. By the way, I meant to say PCA, not PTA. Sorry about that. Wouldn't working as a PCA and volunteering at a hospital count as clinical experience? Once again, thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response! Really appreciate it. By the way, I meant to say PCA, not PTA. Sorry about that. Wouldn't working as a PCA and volunteering at a hospital count as clinical experience? Once again, thanks for the advice.

The volunteering would count, yes. And the PCA job counts as well.

With that being said, maybe just sneak in a little shadowing here and there and if you run into an opportunity to research, I would recommend that as well. But like I said, research isn't a deal-breaker for DO schools.

You'll be in great shape for the '17/'18 application cycle.

I would try and do some additional volunteering in non-healthcare related things. Find something you are passionate about and dedicate some time to it. It shows schools that you are a well rounded individual. A leadership role of some sort would also be beneficial. Your stats will get you interviews, but your experiences are what are going to get you into the schools once you interview. My role as a PCA in a pediatric Emergency Department was a main topic at my interview this cycle as well as a bicycle ride across the United States for Cancer and Global medical missions trips.

Thank you guys. I really appreciate all of your feedback. Congrats on your acceptances btw and good luck!