question -- information needed for FAFSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I know I'm kind of late getting started with the FAFSA, but I have a question about what information I need.

I have my W-2 form, my bank statement, my PIN for the website, a statement my college sent me, and I'm going to get my parents' tax information. Is there anything else I need before I start?

Sorry if this question's been answered already -- I looked but might have missed it. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't forget about any 1099 forms you might have received, and I can't remember if it's fafsa or need access that asks you what tax form you are going to be submitting for the year.

Other than that, you sound like you're pretty much set.

Have fun!!

This might sound silly, but what's a 1099 form?

Thanks so much for the reply! In case it's not obvious, I am pretty clueless about this stuff. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
no worries elle. 1099 forms are sent by financial institutions (including your regular bank) that itemize things like dividends from stocks/bonds/cds etc. and the amount of interest earned from savings accounts.

Also, your school should have sent either you or your parents a report about how much tuition you paid last year. I believe fafsa also asks about this.

And one last thing. Make sure to search for the med school codes for the schools you want to receive this information. After this post, I'm going to revive a thread that deals with this, so be on the lookout.

feel free with any other questions.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by elle :
•This might sound silly, but what's a 1099 form?

Thanks so much for the reply! In case it's not obvious, I am pretty clueless about this stuff. :) •••••Are these references to my two favorite movies, Clueless and Legally Blonde???

Locitamd,
Thanks for the help! I hadn't realized there was a whole financial aid forum on SDN or I would have asked there... but in any event my Fafsa is done now! Ahh it was so much easier than the Amcas application.

Doctora Foxy,
That's so funny! No intentional references, but my sister can recite the whole script of Clueless from memory so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's in my subconsious... :)

I filled out my taxes first and would suggest that you finish that up first. All of the questions that required tax information had a line number to reference on the tax return. It was really easy with everyone thing sitting in front of me.
It would have been easier 5 or 6 years ago when I filed an 1040EZ, but now my life is more complicated.
Overall, I was surpised how easy this whole FAFSA process was...especially in comparison to the AMCAS nightmare!

If you think you have all the information to fill out the fafsa, you can always go to their website and download their pre-application worksheet. I believe that lists all the materials you need to fill it out.