Question on diversity secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted702880

Hey this is my first time here so I apologize for any sins I'm committing by posting this thread but I've recently gotten very stuck on my diversity statement and I was hoping that someone could provide me some direction.

I am a ORM (Taiwanese) CA reapplicant who comes from a mid-high SES family. My family wasn't always well off and for a long period of my childhood I was living with my sibling and my single mother on minimum wage. We couldn't afford health care so we tried our best to not get sick (used expired medications brought over from Taiwan) and relied on donations from the local church to get by.

It's not really cultural or anything so I was wondering if something like this would count as a diverse background that I could write on. If so, how might I begin to address this? I was writing about how the experience taught me the value of solidarity during rough times and how powerful listening could be but it occurred to me that "diversity" might be looking for a more cultural or perspective based approach. Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Diversity as in "what makes you interesting". Doesn't necessarily have to be culturally related (but it can!).

Diversity as in "what makes you interesting". Doesn't necessarily have to be culturally related (but it can!).

Wow that was a super fast reply, thanks! So should I go onto mention the lessons I learned or should I just stick with how this experience lets me relate to people in similar situations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow that was a super fast reply, thanks! So should I go onto mention the lessons I learned or should I just stick with how this experience lets me relate to people in similar situations?
Really, that part is up to you, but I feel like both could feasibly be incorporated.

Really, that part is up to you, but I feel like both could feasibly be incorporated.
I suppose that'd depend on the word/character allocation for each secondary. This might be asking for a little too much but if I did need to select one or another which would you recommend going with?

I suppose that'd depend on the word/character allocation for each secondary. This might be asking for a little too much but if I did need to select one or another which would you recommend going with?

I don't think that's a question that I have the expertise to answer with any degree of certainty.

Reactions: 1 user
Having the perspective of someone who has struggled financially and been underserved medically would be valuable in a medical school small group and in clinical settings.

Reactions: 1 user