Question on Externing OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted913442

Hey everyone,

Quick question on OMFS externing.

Does it look bad to some programs if you were to do all your externships in 1 city? Would the programs assume that, because you did all externships in city X that you will rank all the programs above theirs, causing them to not rank you as high on their end in the MATCH process? (because of the assumption that you want to end up in that city, which may not necessarily be true).

I go to dental school far away from home and was planning on only externing at the 3 schools in my city so I could see my family some and it would be cheaper (and the programs do look great, of course). I may want to end up living there, but I am open to going anywhere in the country (whomever accepts me). I am just trying to figure out if it were to be ok to do this or if I should spread out my externships around the country more and extern at other programs I plan on applying to.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard maybe, but I doubt it's that important. I guess it could appear as if you are unlikely to join a distant program. But if you want to end up living there, that is where you should be externing.

Bottom line: Externing is probably way less important than we think it is. There's really no externing strategy. Just put in the weeks somewhere, see what OMFS has to offer, and explore some programs.

Reactions: 3 users
I've heard maybe, but I doubt it's that important. I guess it could appear as if you are unlikely to join a distant program. But if you want to end up living there, that is where you should be externing.

Bottom line: Externing is probably way less important than we think it is. There's really no externing strategy. Just put in the weeks somewhere, see what OMFS has to offer, and explore some programs.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. Interviewers will definitely ask you why you didn't visit their program or their city, but if you are honest about your personal situation they will understand that the externing/interviewing process is very expensive and it is completely reasonable to base your externships on cheap travel arrangements (flights, boarding, etc.).

Reactions: 1 user