Question on getting my application verified

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calizboosted76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am currently working on my application. The only aspects I am waiting on are taking my MCAT in June and my letters of evaluation. My question is what is everyone meaning to submit your application before everything is in there to become verified? I already have all the schools I plan to apply to selected so wouldn't my application go directly to them when I submit? Sorry for all the Noob questions, this is my first cycle rodeo.

Members don't see this ad.

So, after you submit your application to a school, AACOMAS verifies your grades. This takes anywhere from a few days to 4 weeks (or possibly longer if there's a mistake). You can submit an application without a MCAT or LORs uploaded.

If you wait for your MCAT/LORs what happens is [Get MCAT/LOR uploaded -> Apply to schools -> wait for verification -> AACOMAS sends apps to schools]

But, if you apply to a throwaway school with no MCAT or LORs, AACOMAS verifies your app without your MCAT or LORs. The downside is that whichever school you've applied to might just reject you outright because you're missing a MCAT and LORs.

If you do it this way what happens is [Apply to throwaway -> AACOMAS verifies your grades -> Get MCAT/LORs uploaded -> Apply to schools]
This eliminates the verification time.

Reactions: 2 users
So, after you submit your application to a school, AACOMAS verifies your grades. This takes anywhere from a few days to 4 weeks (or possibly longer if there's a mistake). You can submit an application without a MCAT or LORs uploaded.

If you wait for your MCAT/LORs what happens is [Get MCAT/LOR uploaded -> Apply to schools -> wait for verification -> AACOMAS sends apps to schools]

But, if you apply to a throwaway school with no MCAT or LORs, AACOMAS verifies your app without your MCAT or LORs. The downside is that whichever school you've applied to might just reject you outright because you're missing a MCAT and LORs.

If you do it this way what happens is [Apply to throwaway -> AACOMAS verifies your grades -> Get MCAT/LORs uploaded -> Apply to schools]
This eliminates the verification time.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it that way. I would assume the same outline applies to MD schools as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that LoRs were not particularly required to be done until the secondaries are completed, or is that just misinformed thinking.

I thought that LoRs were not particularly required to be done until the secondaries are completed, or is that just misinformed thinking.

Some schools will not consider your application as complete without LORs and won't send you secondaries. This is rare though. At most schools as long as the LORs are in before you submit secondaries there's no delay.

Reactions: 1 users
Some schools will not consider your application as complete without LORs and won't send you secondaries.

For example ACOM requires letters later on in their process, but if I were intending on using AACOMAS for my letter-writers would they not receive them since I had already submit the application?

For example ACOM requires letters later on in their process, but if I were intending on using AACOMAS for my letter-writers would they not receive them since I had already submit the application?

How the schools want your LORs delivered varies. All schools (I'm pretty sure) accept the LORs from AMCAS/AACOMAS/TMDSAS if uploaded. Some schools allow applicants to send LORs via different methods.

I.e for ACOM they want it from either:
1. Attached to AACOMAS application.
2. Interfolio
3. Virtual Evals
4. Mailed directly to ACOM

or some combination of the 4.

Reactions: 1 user
How the schools want your LORs delivered varies. All schools (I'm pretty sure) accept the LORs from AMCAS/AACOMAS/TMDSAS if uploaded. Some schools allow applicants to send LORs via different methods.

I.e for ACOM they want it from either:
1. Attached to AACOMAS application.
2. Interfolio
3. Virtual Evals
4. Mailed directly to ACOM

or some combination of the 4.

I apologize for the barrage of questions, and I appreciate how helpful you have been here but also on other threads.

But for the sake of clarity, if they are not uploaded to AACOMAS at time of submission, 2, 3 or 4 would be required to ensure they receive them. Is my understanding correct.

I apologize for the barrage of questions, and I appreciate how helpful you have been here but also on other threads.

But for the sake of clarity, if they are not uploaded to AACOMAS at time of submission, 2, 3 or 4 would be required to ensure they receive them. Is my understanding correct.

No, you can upload them onto AACOMAS as well and notify the school even after you've sent the primary. They'll then re-download your app and have the LORs on hand. Using the AACOMAS LOR system is the easiest way. However, if you have a letter you only want going to one school you can use #2,3 or 4 to send those and just not upload it to AACOMAS. I.e for something like LUCOM which requires a pastor letter.

No, you can upload them onto AACOMAS as well and notify the school even after you've sent the primary. They'll then re-download your app and have the LORs on hand. Using the AACOMAS LOR system is the easiest way. However, if you have a letter you only want going to one school you can use #2,3 or 4 to send those and just not upload it to AACOMAS. I.e for something like LUCOM which requires a pastor letter.

Thank you for for all the information that you've provided, you've put me a little more at ease knowing that AACOMAS will have the letters covered.

My letter writers are in the process of writing now, so I think I'll submit within the next couple of weeks and hope that it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Thanks again @WoundupKnight