Question on Housing For Current COMP students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

ordinaryguy

Where are you currently living (i.e. city, apartment complex)? My 3 main criteria is to live within 5 minutes of the school, live in a safe/decent city/apartment, and live in an apartment complex with a lot of COMP students. So maybe current COMP students can help me out. The following is a list of questions I have:

1) How far are you living from school?
2) What city are you living in?
3) Is the city safe?
4) How much are you paying monthly?
5) What city/apartment has a large percetage of COMP students?
6) What areas do you recommend to live in?
7) What amenities does your complex have?

Some people have told me not to live in Pomona because it is not safe (e.g. apartments across from school) and have recommended me to live in Chino Hills.

Members don't see this ad.

This question has come up numerous times...do a thread search..and you will find tons of info...

I have responded to this question, as well as fellow classmates a bunch of times...

Good luck and congrats!

Hey ordinaryguy. I did not know you were going to COMP next year. Why haven't you posted on the COMP class of 2008 thread in the pre-DO forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
My mistake Slickness. I'm excited just like you and other future COMPers. It's just an awesome school. I agree with one of the future students that we all should organize something to meet each other. Congratulations to you and other students that have been accepted to Western!!!!

Originally posted by ordinaryguy
My mistake Slickness. I'm excited just like you and other future COMPers. It's just an awesome school. I agree with one of the future students that we all should organize something to meet each other. Congratulations to you and other students that have been accepted to Western!!!!
It's cool. Yea hopefully it will be fun. I too am concerned about the housing. Do you know when western will give us housing information.

Congrats and I can't wait to meet you. I keep on hearing that clarmont is the place to be. Don't know anything about chino hills (where is that?)
I'm gonna be in the fullerton area, but there isn't much traffic in that direction so hopefully it won't be a bad drive.

I'm still trying to figure out we're supposed to live on the budget they give us. $2400 for transportation? I just spent $600 on rear brakes, a cam shaft sensor (under warranty) and and some sort of belt. What are other people planning to avoid financial ruin during school?

I have no idea when they're going to send housing information, but I'm planning to go down to the area and check apartments out, maybe in April. But I'm not too worried because there's a lot of selection down there. In terms of budget, personally, I'm only going to spend on what I need because I think we can't spend our money on luxury items (e.g. eating at really expensive restaurants). Hey, when you guys find a nice place, and/or I do, maybe you guys can let us know. I think it's nice when all COMP students live next to each other.

hey newbies,

CONGRATS ON GETTING INTO OUR AMAZING SCHOOL!!! You're really gonna love it at COMP. Cool people, great technology, and awesome atmosphere. As far as where to live, I'm a Pomona native and can point you in the right direction.

Chino Hills: (where i live now) great area, mostly new with a Borders Bookstore, lots of Starbucks, Target, Walmart, Costco, lots of shopping, clean, safe, lots of apartments. Most COMP students live at the Portofino Apts off of Peyton Dr and also live at the Missions at Chino Hills Luxury Apartments, off Chino Hills Parkway and Peyton. Chino Hills has everything and is very much multicultural and suburban.

Pomona: some people have actually bought houses in the area and live here. There are some great neighborhoods in Pomona full of Victorian style houses. The area IMMEDIATELY around the school may not be the safest, yet, there are a few students i know that live at the Plaza Apts right next to school and they have no problems.

Pomona/Phillips Ranch: this neighborhood is a very different upscale community of pomona. Nice houses and lots of apartments. Very safe area and quiet.

Claremont: Very quaint area that is conservative and for me, too quiet. Our classmates throw quite a few parties there and they ALWAYS get broken up by 10pm. Sad, but the Claremont Police is on speedial of most residents home telephones and if the noise level gets about a few faint audible decibels, they call the 5.0's. Yet, Claremont has a cute little village area and of course, the Claremont Colleges libraries are great places to study.

If you have anyother questions, just let me know! Good luck, and welcome to our family.
:love:

Class of 2007
College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
Western University of Health Sciences

Ordinary,

I'm a fourth year at COMP and spent both of my years in the Chino area (1st: Chino Hills, 2nd yr: Chino). I have to side with Dre about the Chino area, I liked living there and thought it offered everything I needed. Chino Hills is a more affluent place than Chino, so it seemed more safer but it was more expensive to live in. I had payed $650 for a studio my first year in Chino Hills and shared my apt with a roommate my second year for $950 in Chino.

When I was there, most of my classmates lived in Claremont in that El Sereno Apts area. They had the advantage of the library at the Claremont Colleges and downtown Claremont. Chino/Chino Hills is more mellow but has the advantage of those shopping mall areas where you could get everything you need. Plus the LA Fitness is there.

If you have any more questions, just email me.

Eric
COMP 04

I lived in Chino Hills...but also would have lived in Claremont...it all depends how and where you study..and how much you want to spend...

Eric...glad to see you are still around....4 mos to go eh???

Congrats!!!