Question on Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all

i've been trying to figure this out for the past few months since the match was over, and still pretty stumped. :confused:

i am an img. i got into a program that is my 7th choice...and am pretty glad that i did match and didnt have to scramble. my question is how did i get matched to a program i didnt rank so highly? I received 3-5 letters from program directors after my interviews telling me how they like me, etc, etc. And they did seem very genuine. i actually ranked 2 of them my 2nd-3rd choices but didnt get into the program. i have read in some forums that one shouldnt believe them. is this true? were these letters just being deceptive?

So what really happened to me? why my 7th choice? Did those programs that wrote me letters even ranked me? or did they rank me low? Or should i have ranked them #1? please help me end to this match mystery. :oops: thank you in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

hi all

i've been trying to figure this out for the past few months since the match was over, and still pretty stumped. :confused:

i am an img. i got into a program that is my 7th choice...and am pretty glad that i did match and didnt have to scramble. my question is how did i get matched to a program i didnt rank so highly? I received 3-5 letters from program directors after my interviews telling me how they like me, etc, etc. And they did seem very genuine. i actually ranked 2 of them my 2nd-3rd choices but didnt get into the program. i have read in some forums that one shouldnt believe them. is this true? were these letters just being deceptive?

So what really happened to me? why my 7th choice? Did those programs that wrote me letters even ranked me? or did they rank me low? Or should i have ranked them #1? please help me end to this match mystery. :oops: thank you in advance. :)

I don't know. Doesn't seem too much of a mystery. If your top 6 filled, then they filled with people ranked higher before they got to your name. If your top 6 did not fill, it means they did not rank you.

Usually programs don't rank the candidates unless they're willing to take them. So I'm sure the PD's are genuine when they said they liked you. But it sounds like some of the programs chose other candidates over you for whatever reason.

Ranking the programs that ended up not picking you up #1 wouldn't have made a difference. Or put another way, you would have gotten your #7 anyways had you ranked Program X as #1 or #6 because Program X's list filled with candidates that they ranked higher than you on their list.

Don't feel bad. There're so many random factors that go into these things, and not all of them are logical/rational.

Just realize this: On July 1st, no matter what how high your rank was, no matter how good or bad your board scores or your grades were, every intern is a total ******. So forget all this crap and let July 1st be the first day for the rest of your life.

thanks lowbudget for your thoughtful answer. :) it helped me shed some light to this. also thanks for your very kind words too. i appreciate it. it's been just one week (just finished my first call). i am really feeling that 'dumb' feeling as an intern.