Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Question on Math and Biology

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by Farcus, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Farcus

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    If x is 200 percent more than y, then what
    percent of x is y?

The answer is 33.3%

I don't understand though the reason behind this is since it says that "If x is 200% more than y, then x = y + 200%y. Since 100%
    of y = y and 200% of y = 2y, we can say that x= y + 2y or x = 3y." But If its 200% more than would it be x=2y? how is it 3y?

Biology Section:
    Can someone give me a definite rule behind natural selection and evolution and their difference? So far I know that evolution acts on population only, while NS is individual(not sure on that one). And that evolution is alleles based while NS is more phenotype centered. I just don't see their difference though apart from that. I mean according to darwin's evolution there is a selection forced from based on environment of the more favorable trait but isn't that just natural selection?

2. minhaj

minhaj Awesomeness Incarnate
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    to answer your first question, x is 200% more than the original value of y. like in your equation, x = y + 2y(this is in addition to the y). i know it sounds confusing but i dont really know how to explain this better.

3. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    One hundred percent more would mean that it is double right? Lets say my chances of getting into medical school are 5 on the scale of life. If you had a 100% better chance than me, you'd have a 10. If you had 200% better than me it'd be a 15.

4. Farcus

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    but I always thought 100% mean 1 so 200% = 2. like in a fraction, if something is 56% it is .56 and if its 100% it is 1.

5. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    You're not saying 100% of something, its 100% BETTER meaning 100% GREATER meaning 200%