1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Question on Math and Biology

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by Farcus, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Farcus

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    If x is 200 percent more than y, then what
    percent of x is y?

The answer is 33.3%

I don't understand though the reason behind this is since it says that "If x is 200% more than y, then x = y + 200%y. Since 100%
    of y = y and 200% of y = 2y, we can say that x= y + 2y or x = 3y." But If its 200% more than would it be x=2y? how is it 3y?

Biology Section:
    Can someone give me a definite rule behind natural selection and evolution and their difference? So far I know that evolution acts on population only, while NS is individual(not sure on that one). And that evolution is alleles based while NS is more phenotype centered. I just don't see their difference though apart from that. I mean according to darwin's evolution there is a selection forced from based on environment of the more favorable trait but isn't that just natural selection?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. minhaj

minhaj Awesomeness Incarnate
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    to answer your first question, x is 200% more than the original value of y. like in your equation, x = y + 2y(this is in addition to the y). i know it sounds confusing but i dont really know how to explain this better.

4. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    One hundred percent more would mean that it is double right? Lets say my chances of getting into medical school are 5 on the scale of life. If you had a 100% better chance than me, you'd have a 10. If you had 200% better than me it'd be a 15.

5. Farcus

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    but I always thought 100% mean 1 so 200% = 2. like in a fraction, if something is 56% it is .56 and if its 100% it is 1.

6. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    You're not saying 100% of something, its 100% BETTER meaning 100% GREATER meaning 200%