Question on MDSSP When Already Having a Current 8-Year USAR Service Obligation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruins1117

Reaction score
Hello! I am a current 2LT serving in the Army Reserves, currently completing my 8-year service commitment that came from my ROTC scholarship. I recently got into medical school, but have had an unfortunate situation with scheduling an AG BOLC that would finish before medical school starts. I am starting to look into ways I could avoid deferring my medical school enrollment for AG BOLC by trying to get slotted as a medical student MOS in the Army Reserves. I have been looking into the MDSSP program and was wondering if I am even eligible for this program with my previous service obligation? With this program, am I only able to be slotted as a medical student when I am taking the financial incentives the program offers? Could I potentially use the program in the last 2 years or 6 months of my 4th year of medical school, but still be slotted as a medical student the other years of school?

I am just trying to see if doing the MDSSP is a valid option for me when I already have a service obligation from ROTC. I was hoping to practice as an Army doc in the reserves for a few more years after medical school anyways, so adding a year or two of service doesn't sound bad to me.

Members don't see this ad.

My guess is the army will most definitely let you add years to your obligation, lol.

Find the AMEDD recruiter that covers your school and discuss it with them. Then come back here and ask for the pros and cons of the program they are offering.

For the Guard, I would be talking to my states medical leadership and my chain of command about my situation and options to be placed with a medical unit, delaying BOLC, switching MOS, etc without accepting another incentive program. AMEDD recruiter may be able to help or may try to just dump you into an obligation incurring program. Finding a local medical reserve unit and reaching out to them might be another option.

Being in a medical unit is usually the best place but the important thing is really leadership that values you becoming a physician and prioritizes what you need to succeed in medical school. The reality is, you don't even need to be in a medical student spot or medical unit. You just need leadership willing to stand by red in a powerpoint because they understand your real job right now is to become a physician for the military.