Question on new major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vin5cent0

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've decided to switch majors (kinda late in the game, but it slightly resembles my first major). My initial major had me taking lots of difficult classes that I felt had little relevance to my major and were just going to drag me down.. calculus 1 and 2, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry.. just the ones of the top of my head.

My new major is focused around Clinical lab sciences.. learning about diagnostic stuff using labs on bodily fluids and whatnot. Not only does it seem more interesting to me, but it seems like the classes would have more of a relevance to medicine, and it doesn't require a lot of extra difficult classes that don't pertain to me. Only things that concern me:

1) For math, it only requires pre-calc and biometry (mixture of biology and stats I'm told). Would that satisfy math requirements or medical schools

2) Only one semester of organic chem and lab. Do all schools require 2 semesters?

3) Only one semester of biochemistry and lab. Do all schools require 2 semesters?

Members don't see this ad.

I've decided to switch majors (kinda late in the game, but it slightly resembles my first major). My initial major had me taking lots of difficult classes that I felt had little relevance to my major and were just going to drag me down.. calculus 1 and 2, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry.. just the ones of the top of my head.

My new major is focused around Clinical lab sciences.. learning about diagnostic stuff using labs on bodily fluids and whatnot. Not only does it seem more interesting to me, but it seems like the classes would have more of a relevance to medicine, and it doesn't require a lot of extra difficult classes that don't pertain to me. Only things that concern me:

1) For math, it only requires pre-calc and biometry (mixture of biology and stats I'm told). Would that satisfy math requirements or medical schools

2) Only one semester of organic chem and lab. Do all schools require 2 semesters?

3) Only one semester of biochemistry and lab. Do all schools require 2 semesters?

Medical schools require both semesters of organic chem( with exceptions maybe 5 schools, DMUCOM is one of them i know, but they require organic + a semester of biochem). Biochem is a class after organic 2. Math wise its a school based thing, I think Pre-calc + biostats is a good mix. Btw where you a chemistry major before?

Nope, I was just a plain biology major, but for some reason they have requirements of upper level math and chemistry classes, for reasons unknown to me.

Nope, I was just a plain biology major, but for some reason they have requirements of upper level math and chemistry classes, for reasons unknown to me.

........ I'm going to have to say that such requirements are insane. My state's flagship also has insane requirements as well for biology majors, calc 1-2 and energetic chem. But seriously physical chem and analytic chem are courses that my school's chem majors take. But yah, if I were you I'd have also switched majors to something different.