Question on Rank List and Match Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Picotte

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, while I'm pretty confident I'll match I was thinking about ranking some transitional programs at the end of my primary match list after all the radiology programs. I think a few of us are thinking of doing the same. The question I have is that if I don't match into radiology but do match into a transitional year slot, will I be notified on Monday March 19 that I only matched into a PGY1 slot or will I find out on Thursday when I open up my letter that my match really is in a transitional year program.

Anyone know the answer to this question for sure?

The secretary to our dean is saying that if I put a transitional year program at the end and match into that transitional year program I won't find out until Thursday when I open up the envelope which seems ridiculous to me because maybe I would have liked to scramble.

Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Good question.

I would have guessed the same as ur sec. said, but to make SURE u better call the NRMP people.

I could definetly see how this would be a huge problem later on if things don't work out for whatever reason.

Good luck.

if you do indeed put a transitional year at the end of your list, you will not find out until thursday. however, if you just put down your advanced list along with your supplemental list for every spot, you will find out on monday.

there will be a couple e-mails sent (if i remember correctly)...

1. congrats you matched
2. you matched into an advanced, but not a pgy1 postion
3. you did not match

to the best of my knowledge, if you don't match into your primary list, it will not match you into anything (including supplemental list) because the algorithm never took the next step of finding you a year one position. however, if a transitional year is on your primary list, you may match into that and receive the congrats you matched letter. hope this jumbled mess helps. this is my understanding of the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same concern right now. I am putting prelim programs that I would not mind going to if I can't do radiology on my list (2 of them). Since the radiology scramble will likely be non existent, I'd rather match into one these than try to scramble.

Did you post this message on auntminnie.com as well? The wording of a similar question is almost exactly the same over there.

Yep that's me over there in that forum. I wrote an e-mail to NRMP and I'll post the response I get.

While I think there will be no way to scramble into a rads program, I don't want to find out on Thursday that I matched into a transitional year but no radiology program. It would crush me opening that envelope with everyone else being so happy. Just knowing on Monday would still really be terrible but at least I'll find out in private without news cameras in my face.