Question on sports medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeppelinpage4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've looked around online but couldn't find a straightforward answer to this, but posting if anyone might know. I'm a pediatric resident and am looking at various specialty options after residency. I'm looking at sports medicine as an option but noticed some programs take peds, IM, FM, EM and PM&R residency graduate, while others don't take peds grads or some mix of the other specialties. If I were to go to a sports medicine program that accepts peds and IM graduate, and I sit for the sports medicine boards am I qualified to see adults and kids? Or due to my primary specialty in pediatrics, I will only be able to do sports medicine visits for kids. Likewise, will my sports medicine salary be different based on which primary specialty I was trained in?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've looked around online but couldn't find a straightforward answer to this, but posting if anyone might know. I'm a pediatric resident and am looking at various specialty options after residency. I'm looking at sports medicine as an option but noticed some programs take peds, IM, FM, EM and PM&R residency graduate, while others don't take peds grads or some mix of the other specialties. If I were to go to a sports medicine program that accepts peds and IM graduate, and I sit for the sports medicine boards am I qualified to see adults and kids? Or due to my primary specialty in pediatrics, I will only be able to do sports medicine visits for kids. Likewise, will my sports medicine salary be different based on which primary specialty I was trained in?

Thanks
I wouldn’t pay a peds sports med fellow to see adults but I don’t know the relevant licensing laws

I wouldn’t pay a peds sports med fellow to see adults but I don’t know the relevant licensing laws
So, that's where i am confused. There's a specific pediatric sports med fellowship which I assumed only qualifies one to see peds and that makes sense as it's pediatric focused. But they take the standard sport medicine licensing boards at the end and not a pediatric specific one.

And even though there's a pediatric specific program, there's more general sports medicine fellowships (not specific to pediatrics) taking peds and IM residency grads. I assumed they are trained to see the full spectrum of kids to adults but it's not really clear. I know in specialties like allergy/immunology they take graduates from both peds and IM and train them to see adults and kids. But I don't know if sports medicine works the same way.