Question on Suggested Sequence of Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gilamobster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My college has a recommended study outline for you to take classes that will lead to a B.S. in Biology with a Biomedical emphasis.

http://biology.southern.edu/cp/biocatalog/biomed.html

Does anyone think that the recommendations are fair or well thought out? I am kind a of paranoid right now about how my courses should be planned.( whats funny is I am exempt from half the classes just because I took Pre-Calculus and Calculus from the local community college as a high schooler and I get to skip English 101 and the Freshman Literature class).

so far my schedule for the first semester looks like this:

Biology (Major)
Drawing (G. Education Req.)
American History ( G.Education Req.)
Swimming (Fitness Requirement, also would it be okay to take this Pass/Fail)
Public Speaking ( G.Education Req.)

I Also want to thank anyone that actually takes the time to look at the link and reply

Members don't see this ad.

It looks like you could finish all the pre-requisites for taking the MCAT by the end of third year, which is good, if you take Biochem instead of a second semester of Orgo, but all med schools may not allow the substitution (many do, but check on that for your prefered schools). The schedule doesn't specify that a lab is included in the first year biology classes and second year Chem and third year Orgo. As labs are required in most admissions requirements, I hope they are incorporated into the class. I see that physics lab is mentioned separately, which is what made me wonder.

Even though you took Pre-calc and Calc in high school, since they were taught at the community college, I believe that those grades will be included in your cummulative GPA for post-secondary education for AMCAS purposes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I forgot to mention that the Biology & Chemistry classes have one 3 hour lab a week. Its just the way they do Physics thats weird. The second and third year look extremely hard from my perspective right now. With improved study skills and different outlook as I gain first year college experience do you think it will be significantly easier or at least slightly easier?

With improved study skills and different outlook as I gain first year college experience do you think it will be significantly easier or at least slightly easier?

The difficulty will escalate as you gain study skills. This is why so few continue in their intention to remain pre-med as the years go by. The difficult "weed-out" classes are doing their job. You will need to keep your focus and determination to succeed, which means getting mostly As.