1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Question over cellular respiration

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by UTlonghornDDS, Aug 5, 2011.

1. UTlonghornDDS

Pre-Dental
    Hi guys,
    A lot of things from my biochem class seem to contradict some of the DAT material, and I just needed to clarify these answers in terms of the DAT so that I don't get them wrong...:confused:

So in terms of the DAT:
    1. TCA is aerobic (but it is really anaerobic right?)
    2. Also when they ask you how many ATP is produced from cellular respiration, are they referring to glycolysis, tca, op, and pryuvate decarboxylation? Because in some kaplan material it just refers to just pyruvate decarboxylation, tca, and op as cellular respiration (not glycolysis)
    3. In reference to #2, the overall cellular respiration is 36-38 ATP right? And is OP+TCA= 32 ATP?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. flyingforever

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    TCA requires oxygen at same its "amphibolic." Cellular respiration referring to Glycolysis, Krebs, and ETC. The total ATP count is 34 according to most Biochem books. The numbers doesn't matter, ~34-38 ATPs.

4. JohnnnyD

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    1) The TCA is indirectly dependent on O2 according to my princeton review DAT books. The ETC is directly dependent on O2 (obviously) but when it shuts down because of anaerobic conditions, no NADH is oxidized to NAD+, and without this NAD+, neither the TCA or PDC can function. This is when glycolysis starts regenerating the NAD+ itself by reducing pyruvate to NAD+ (making glycolysis O2 independent).

2) in my princeton review books, cellular respiration refers to Glycolysis, PDC, Krebs/TCA and ETC...

when u takin ur DAT? Im at UT also