question re: personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ubu

Always hungry...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a grad student and am interested in applying as an MD/PhD student at the school I am currently in. However, I am interested in doing the MD/PhD *only* at the school I am in (because I just love the research project that I have) and would only like to do MD if I am accepted to other schools. My question is this: Can I submit a separate personal statement for different schools if they are all a part of AMCAS? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

you can only use one AMCAS essay for all the schools on your AMCAS app...
but on the secondary essays you can really tailor your essay for the MD/PhD program. it'll take some nifty dancing to make your AMCAS essay applicable for MD schools and your MD/PhD school.
dont worry - it can be done (I did it ;) ) you just have to put a lot of thought into how you phrase things.

Hey Ubu one thing to consider (you might have already, but just in case)...I know some schools don't let you apply from the graduate programs to MD/PhD. You should double check with both the medical school and MD/PhD program at your University and make sure they allow this. But yeah you can definitely work your personal statement so that it applies to mostly the MD route, and then emphasize the MD/PhD part in the secondary. Plus if you only want to do MD/PhD at one place, you should make an effort to meet the people who run the program so they know that you want to do it there.

you might want to consider EDP for your school...

I would definetly definetly talk with people at the school.

Sonya