Question regarding armed forces scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacy_hopeful

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!
I'll be applying to pharmacy school for the 2019 cycle and I'm curious if anyone here is familiar with scholarships offered by the army, navy, or air force. From the little I've heard about these scholarship programs, I gather that the particular armed forces branch you choose will cover part or the entirety of your pharmacy school tuition and expenses (books, supplies, etc.). I've also heard that, upon completion of the PharmD program, you are required to serve for four years (which I am willing and interested in doing) with the branch that provides you with the scholarship. Am I correct in my basic understanding of these types of scholarship opportunities?

Furthermore, I would be interested to see if anyone here has had any experience with these armed forces scholarships or has any additional information on how I might learn more about any of these opportunities. Would I need to speak with a recruiter?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Not affiliated with these programs, but did a lot of research into them at one point. Some of this information may be inaccurate or outdated, and none of it is to be taken as official.

It's called the Health Professions Scholarship Program or HPSP. I think all of the branches of the military offer it but only the Army and the Air Force offer it for pharmacy. Even then the scholarships only cover 2 or 3 years. But you are correct, they cover 100% of tuition and books, as well as give you a stipend. You would then be required to serve for a certain number of years (I'm not sure on the exact number). You would have to speak to a recruiter for any official or specific information, including how to apply.

Reactions: 1 user
We do have a scholarship that is in conjunction with the ROTC. It is a 6 year program so it pays for 2 years of the undergrad and all 4 years of the pharmacy program. You have to work with your schools army ROTC office if you want more information. They are the ones that work with that program.