Question regarding getting accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChodeNode

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's a bit early for me since I just got verified this morning but I want to get some piece of mind. I read that one school interviewed like 600 and accepted 500-something. Only 200-something actually matriculate I get that they accept well over their limit because they expect students to take offers elsewhere. Does it mean that some amount of the accepted folks get wait-listed? If so, when do they know they're actually in?

Since I have a family, a job, and own a house, there are some very big things I have to do to prepare. I want to understand the process better so that I know when it's actually safe to get the ball rolling selling my house, quitting my job, and moving.

Members don't see this ad.

Once you're in, you're in. Unless you also happen to be an ex-con that lied about not doing slammer time on their app.

So it's a bit early for me since I just got verified this morning but I want to get some piece of mind. I read that one school interviewed like 600 and accepted 500-something. Only 200-something actually matriculate I get that they accept well over their limit because they expect students to take offers elsewhere. Does it mean that some amount of the accepted folks get wait-listed? If so, when do they know they're actually in?

Since I have a family, a job, and own a house, there are some very big things I have to do to prepare. I want to understand the process better so that I know when it's actually safe to get the ball rolling selling my house, quitting my job, and moving.

No, acceptances are acceptances. It's a calculation the school makes in knowing (through many cycles) that 1/2 or 1/3 of those offered acceptances will actually go to their school. This particular school that you are talking about knows that about 50% of the students they offer acceptances to will go elsewhere for various reasons. Thus the accept 500 for a class of 200 something.

I think there have been rare instances of over acceptance in which the school had to defer and roll over some of the accepted class into the following year haha.

It wold be absolutely terrible to receive and acceptance email and then get bumped down to waitlist in May!

Members don't see this ad :)
Everybody beat me to the punch. It is as they said, once you are in, you're in.

Excellent - thanks guys. That puts me a bit more at ease.

Reactions: 1 user