Question regarding interviewing while switching programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mojojojo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Hoping someone can offer me some advice.

I posted here a while ago about considering a switch from ob/gyn to family med. Well, I decided, it's done, and my program director is aware I am leaving. He provided me with a great letter of recommendation, I reapplied through ERAS and have begun to receive interviews. So, yay.

The bad news is I am absolutely beyond miserable in my program. I would like to leave ASAP. I have been considering informing my program director that if he would like to start looking for a replacement for me NOW as they start their own interviews, then I would be happy to let them replace me so that I could leave sooner.

So, here is my question: If I leave my program before interviews begin, will it look poorly when I have my interviews? Again, I have a great letter of recommendation, and my program director would never say anything bad about me (he's the only good thing about the program). I'm just wondering if new programs would find it shocking, or maybe think of me as lazy, if I show up and say that I already left my program. I would either take some time off or try to find a research gig (or, hell, work in a bookstore). It's just that to be honest, I'm just not sure I can make it another few months in this place, especially since we're usually in work hour violations and I just can't see the point in working 100 hour weeks (I did 120 hours last week) in something I don't want to stay in.

I would really appreciate any advice, especially if you've been through something similar. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all. Hoping someone can offer me some advice.

I posted here a while ago about considering a switch from ob/gyn to family med. Well, I decided, it's done, and my program director is aware I am leaving. He provided me with a great letter of recommendation, I reapplied through ERAS and have begun to receive interviews. So, yay.

The bad news is I am absolutely beyond miserable in my program. I would like to leave ASAP. I have been considering informing my program director that if he would like to start looking for a replacement for me NOW as they start their own interviews, then I would be happy to let them replace me so that I could leave sooner.

So, here is my question: If I leave my program before interviews begin, will it look poorly when I have my interviews? Again, I have a great letter of recommendation, and my program director would never say anything bad about me (he's the only good thing about the program). I'm just wondering if new programs would find it shocking, or maybe think of me as lazy, if I show up and say that I already left my program. I would either take some time off or try to find a research gig (or, hell, work in a bookstore). It's just that to be honest, I'm just not sure I can make it another few months in this place, especially since we're usually in work hour violations and I just can't see the point in working 100 hour weeks (I did 120 hours last week) in something I don't want to stay in.

I would really appreciate any advice, especially if you've been through something similar. Thanks so much!
As long as you leave under good terms with your current program, you will be fine. Most PD's want reasonable notice if you plan to leave, usually 2-3 months. So, up and leaving next week is not a good idea unless your PD has a replacement lined up.

So: I'd talk to your PD, mention that you are thinking of not finishing the year. If someone wants your spot, you'd be happy to vacate ASAP. If not, you plan on completing the next X months and then resigning.

Of course, don't forget that if you resign, you MIGHT have to start paying back your loans. You should check with whomever services them. Once you start paying back your loans, you might or might not be able to put them back in forbearance when you get a new spot.

It will not look bad if you leave mid year...I did the same thing. I definitely agree with your strategy to inform the PD that he can start looking for a replacement and then as soon as they find someone (and they will find someone quick) you can leave. You can probably be out of there in a month, 6 weeks tops. Do you have any vacation coming up? Can you switch in some vacation time to have a break?
I understand feeling like you just can't take another day. Programs will not care, they are looking for an intern anyway, not a second year, and the less experience you have, the less credit they will have to give you. Good luck with your interviews!

Hello all. So, I did it today, I told my program director I want to leave and he said it was fine. He said they have many people who would love a PGY-1 spot and as soon as I'm ready to leave, I can go. He thinks it would take 2 weeks tops to have someone in the spot and ready to go, so just inform him when I'm ready.

So, to address my previous question... Will it look bad if I show up to residency programs and I am not currently in a program? Again, I'll come with a great rec and no hard feelings. But should I wait and try to be actively in a program while I interview?

Any advice would be so much appreciated. This is all quite scary and overwhelming right now.

Thanks again.

If you leave from your current program in good standing = good letter from your PD, clear that you were not failing out of the program = then you really shouldn't have much problem with residency interviews. You'll have a clear story to tell -- you were unhappy with that field/program, you talked to your PD, you resigned, you did not leave them in the lurch (i.e. you offered to stay long enough so someone would fill your spot), etc. PD's will be very comfortable with this.

As others have mentioned, this may have serious effects on your loans (if you have any). You may be forced to start repaying them, and ? if you will be able to stop again once you get a new spot. Also, you will lose your medical coverage unless you COBRA, which is usually quite expensive.

Personally, I wouldn't quit any job until I had another one lined up, and that includes residency/internship. But I seem to be in the minority here.
If I were a foreign medical grad, I think I'd be ever more leery of quitting midyear. Remember, the PD can always get someone else to fill your spot...interns and prospective interns are a dime a dozen. It may take longer than you think to find another spot...on the other hand, having no job will free you up to go on more interviews perhaps.