Question Regarding Pre reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RYost234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I was looking up my instate dental schools prerequisites and at UIC and SIU, it says they require 6 hours of physics.

At my CC, our sciences are 4 credit hours (lab included) so I don't understand how how someone could only get 6 credit hours rather than getting 8 for Phy 1 + 2.

Can someone explain?

Thanks,
Confused CC student

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools only give 3 credits for lecture and have lab as a separate class for 1 credit.

Its irrelevant honestly. Also I suggest doing your pre reqs at a four year college, some schools don't take CC pre reqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools only give 3 credits for lecture and have lab as a separate class for 1 credit.

Its irrelevant honestly. Also I suggest doing your pre reqs at a four year college, some schools don't take CC pre reqs.

he could very well be in a situation where he cannot attend a 4 yr. It might be his only option to attend a CC.. just a thought.. could be a non-traditional student???

Reactions: 1 user
he could very well be in a situation where he cannot attend a 4 yr. It might be his only option to attend a CC.. just a thought.. could be a non-traditional student???

The schools that don't take CC credits for pre reqs won't care about that. So it's up to him whether he wants to include those schools or not. Maybe he doesn't plan to apply to those at all.

Ohh okay thanks. But don't you need lab with every pre req? What's the point of taking lab at a different time than when you're taking the class

I suggest checking with the schools you'll be applying to, but the general rule is don't take any prereqs at a community college.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ohh okay thanks. But don't you need lab with every pre req? What's the point of taking lab at a different time than when you're taking the class

Its just how some schools structure it. But at the end of the day your 4 credit classes are essentially the same as the 3 hour equivalents. Don't worry about it at all. If a class says "general Physics 1" it counts as that across ALL schools.

I know you are getting confused thinking you need to find 3 hour courses because UIC and SIU are listing them as such, that is not true. Your 8 credit classes fulfill the requirements the same way.

Its just how some schools structure it. But at the end of the day your 4 credit classes are essentially the same as the 3 hour equivalents. Don't worry about it at all. If a class says "general Physics 1" it counts as that across ALL schools.

I know you are getting confused thinking you need to find 3 hour courses because UIC and SIU are listing them as such, that is not true. Your 8 credit classes fulfill the requirements the same way.

Okay, thank you very much for clarifying, I got nervous into thinking I was taking more than I am supposed to.

the only pre-req that doesn't require a lab that I know of is biochem...

I'll have my year of gen bio and chem done at a CC before transferring. All of my bio and chem teachers were excellent, so as long as I perform well on those sections on the DAT it shouldn't be too much of a hindrance... right?

Reactions: 1 users
I'll have my year of gen bio and chem done at a CC before transferring. All of my bio and chem teachers were excellent, so as long as I perform well on those sections on the DAT it shouldn't be too much of a hindrance... right?

People will often question the difficulty of your CC courses/GPA so get a high TS on the DAT to validate them and prove that your grades aren't just for show.

Last edited:
The schools that don't take CC credits for pre reqs won't care about that. So it's up to him whether he wants to include those schools or not. Maybe he doesn't plan to apply to those at all.
It's only 7 schools, from which 4 do not accept at all and the others have limits in the amount. Calm down, he has 54 more to which he can apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
People will often question the difficulty of your CC courses/GPA so get a high TS on the DAT and validate them and prove that your grades aren't just for show.

Sir yes Sir! I had another question regarding starting off at a CC and then transferring.

Since I will have one cGPA/sGPA from my CC and one cGPA/sGPA from my 4 year, would they average both gpa's from my CC/University into one cGPA/sGPA when reviewing my application?

If they don't combine the two GPA's, how much more weight is placed on my University GPA compared to my CC GPA?

Sorry for asking what might seem like dumb questions (they probably are), but my adviser knows nothing regarding applications so SDN is where I learn most of my information.

Sir yes Sir! I had another question regarding starting off at a CC and then transferring.

Since I will have one cGPA/sGPA from my CC and one cGPA/sGPA from my 4 year, would they average both gpa's from my CC/University into one cGPA/sGPA when reviewing my application?

If they don't combine the two GPA's, how much more weight is placed on my University GPA compared to my CC GPA?

Sorry for asking what might seem like dumb questions (they probably are), but my adviser knows nothing regarding applications so SDN is where I learn most of my information.
They don't average it. They'll calculate it as if it is from the same school. Both weight the same.

AADSAS do not look at the GPAs that your schools give you, they take all your grades and calculate their own GPA, with their own rubric.

It's only 7 schools, from which 4 do not accept at all and the others have limits in the amount. Calm down, he has 54 more to which he can apply.

Doesn't mean it's not "frowned upon" by the other 54.

They don't average it. They'll calculate it as if it is from the same school. Both weight the same.

AADSAS do not look at the GPAs that your schools give you, they take all your grades and calculate their own GPA, with their own rubric.

Now i'm very confused. My adviser said today that when I transfer to a 4 year, I essentially start off with a clean slate GPA. Is this true?

Regarding applying to Dental school, would I essentially be able to pretend all of my grades are from one school to have a good understanding as to what they will see my overall GPA is?

It would not be exact since they calculate their GPA's their own way, but would that be a good way to have an estimate as to what my GPA will be when applying?

Doesn't mean it's not "frowned upon" by the other 54.
How many people have been accepted with cc prerequisites? TONS. My 60 cc credits are the least of my worries. It's not like my professors didn't have phDs (90% also teach at the local 4year) or like I just wanted the easy way.
:rolleyes:

Now i'm very confused. My adviser said today that when I transfer to a 4 year, I essentially start off with a clean slate GPA. Is this true?

Regarding applying to Dental school, would I essentially be able to pretend all of my grades are from one school to have a good understanding as to what they will see my overall GPA is?

It would not be exact since they calculate their GPA's their own way, but would that be a good way to have an estimate as to what my GPA will be when applying?
You start with a clean GPA only for the purpose of your new school. AADSAS doesn't care about that since they calculate their own.

Yes.

Use a GPA calculator app and change the A+ to a 4.33. The result should be the same or pretty close to your AADSAS GPA

You start with a clean GPA only for the purpose of your new school. AADSAS doesn't care about that since they calculate their own.

Yes.

Use a GPA calculator app and change the A+ to a 4.33. The result should be the same or pretty close to your AADSAS GPA

Thank you so much! I hope I'm not irritating you with these questions, I just have one more (I think)

At my CC, we don't have +/-, we go off of a 90-100 is an A (4.0)

Are you saying all of my A's in my science classes at my CC would be counted as a 4.33 rather than a 4.0?

I appreciate your responses, you made a confused transfer student feel much less confused.

Thank you so much! I hope I'm not irritating you with these questions, I just have one more (I think)

At my CC, we don't have +/-, we go off of a 90-100 is an A (4.0)

Are you saying all of my A's in my science classes at my CC would be counted as a 4.33 rather than a 4.0?

I appreciate your responses, you made a confused transfer student feel much less confused.
No, if your school does not give A+, then you can't get a 4.33. You'll only get 4.0.

AADSAS will calculate a "with -/+ GPA" and a "without -/+ GPA". Some dental schools use one more than the other, but it depends on the specific school.

Since you are in a school that only gives grades without -/+ your two GPAs will be the same because there's no way for AADSAS to determine if you would have gotten an A-, A, or A+. They use whatever grade is in your transcript.

If when you transfer, your new school does use -/+ then your "with -/+ GPA" and "without -/+ GPA" will start to become slightly different.

In my CC we didn't have A+ neither, I got my first A+s at my 4year. Those are great :rolleyes::p

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions

No, if your school does not give A+, then you can't get a 4.33. You'll only get 4.0.

AADSAS will calculate a "with -/+ GPA" and a "without -/+ GPA". Some dental schools use one more than the other, but it depends on the specific school.

Since you are in a school that only gives grades without -/+ your two GPAs will be the same because there's no way for AADSAS to determine if you would have gotten an A-, A, or A+. They use whatever grade is in your transcript.

If when you transfer, your new school does use -/+ then your "with -/+ GPA" and "without -/+ GPA" will start to become slightly different.

In my CC we didn't have A+ neither, I got my first A+s at my 4year. Those are great :rolleyes::p

Ahhh that makes sense. I appreciate your time! I will certainly PM you when I think of more questions!

I spent 3 years at a cc and took general chemistry and general biology with labs and I graduated with a 4.0. I currently have 6 interviews this cycle. However, I also have a 3.85 at my 4-year university where I have finished most of my dental pre-reqs there and I have a 22AA, 21TS. So, I would say taking pre-reqs at a cc is perfectly fine as long as it's not all of them and you suffice in other ways.

Reactions: 3 users

I know the others say that taking pre-reqs at a community college is frowned upon.. but I am pretty sure that there are several other people who took pre-reqs at a community college.. I work with a ton of dentists that took all their pre-reqs at a community college and didn't have any issues getting in to DS.. just like "acefoseven" said KILL THAT DAT! best of luck to you!!

I spent 3 years at a cc and took general chemistry and general biology with labs and I graduated with a 4.0. I currently have 6 interviews this cycle. However, I also have a 3.85 at my 4-year university where I have finished most of my dental pre-reqs there and I have a 22AA, 21TS. So, I would say taking pre-reqs at a cc is perfectly fine as long as it's not all of them and you suffice in other ways.

Congrats on the interviews! And yeah I feel like as long your grades are strong at the four year and everything else is what it needs to be at with DAT score and everything else then I don't think it would put that much of a hindrance on the CC students chances..

Out of curiosity, how much harder were the sciences at your 4 year compared to your CC? I plan on attending either Northwestern (if I get in) or UIUC for fall of 2017 and from what I've heard they're quite rigorous which makes me fear for my GPA haha..

I know the others say that taking pre-reqs at a community college is frowned upon.. but I am pretty sure that there are several other people who took pre-reqs at a community college.. I work with a ton of dentists that took all their pre-reqs at a community college and didn't have any issues getting in to DS.. just like "acefoseven" said KILL THAT DAT! best of luck to you!!

Yeah I think people tend to over exaggerate how bad attending a CC is rather than going straight to a 4 year instead. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Yeah I think people tend to over exaggerate how bad attending a CC is rather than going straight to a 4 year instead. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Here's the thing IMHO that people don't understand... everyone is in a different situation not everyone can attend a 4 year university. Universities might have a rigorous course load and might be harder, but going to a CC doesn't make you any less smarter or dumber. You might not be able to attend a university (too far, can't afford it for whatever reason, but there are many reasons I just can't think of anymore hahah) that is what imo makes every student who applies to dental school unique.. and I think that's what ADCOMS look for..

I attended both community college and 4 years university, and i can say that community college is harder. At a 4 years university, especially with a big class, there is a lots of curve and bonuses offer. At a community college, what you earn is what you get.

Congrats on the interviews! And yeah I feel like as long your grades are strong at the four year and everything else is what it needs to be at with DAT score and everything else then I don't think it would put that much of a hindrance on the CC students chances..

Out of curiosity, how much harder were the sciences at your 4 year compared to your CC? I plan on attending either Northwestern (if I get in) or UIUC for fall of 2017 and from what I've heard they're quite rigorous which makes me fear for my GPA haha..

I feel like the sciences at my 4 year were much harder. My grades dipped my first quarter, but other than that I adjusted to the rigors of the school. Good luck and study hard!

Here's the thing IMHO that people don't understand... everyone is in a different situation not everyone can attend a 4 year university. Universities might have a rigorous course load and might be harder, but going to a CC doesn't make you any less smarter or dumber. You might not be able to attend a university (too far, can't afford it for whatever reason, but there are many reasons I just can't think of anymore hahah) that is what imo makes every student who applies to dental school unique.. and I think that's what ADCOMS look for..

Exactly! I do feel like I have gained experiences that a person who went straight to a 4 year university haven't, which hopefully I will be able to put in a positive light in an essay or something along those lines.

I feel like the sciences at my 4 year were much harder. My grades dipped my first quarter, but other than that I adjusted to the rigors of the school. Good luck and study hard!

Oh boy haha, hopefully I will adjust like you. Thanks! Good luck to you also!

I attended both community college and 4 years university, and i can say that community college is harder. At a 4 years university, especially with a big class, there is a lots of curve and bonuses offer. At a community college, what you earn is what you get.

The curving system at 4 year universities is something I do not like but will have to adjust to. In my opinion (I could be completely wrong), community college grades are more reliant on the individual since there is no curve so I feel like they are a better representation of how well one student performs.. It essentially removes any outliers that could affect your grade which I am a big fan of.

Oh boy haha, hopefully I will adjust like you. Thanks! Good luck to you also!
The curving system at 4 year universities is something I do not like but will have to adjust to. In my opinion (I could be completely wrong), community college grades are more reliant on the individual since there is no curve so I feel like they are a better representation of how well one student performs.. It essentially removes any outliers that could affect your grade which I am a big fan of.
Also, at my 4 year, I've only taken two science classes out of a ton (bio major) where they actually curved the class. One of those science classes the professor made the exams hard on purpose and he said he justifies the difficulty by curving the class. My advice is, look for programs that helps transfer students adapt to a 4 year university. I took several of these my first year at my 4 year. Good luck!

Also, at my 4 year, I've only taken two science classes out of a ton (bio major) where they actually curved the class. One of those science classes the professor made the exams hard on purpose and he said he justifies the difficulty by curving the class. My advice is, look for programs that helps transfer students adapt to a 4 year university. I took several of these my first year at my 4 year. Good luck!

So at your university it was much like how a CC class is graded? And for transferring to UIUC they have a mandatory science class that you have to take before taking any other sciences which should hopefully get me in sync!

So at your university it was much like how a CC class is graded? And for transferring to UIUC they have a mandatory science class that you have to take before taking any other sciences which should hopefully get me in sync!
Pretty much, except my CC didn't do +/- grades.