Question regarding privileges/credentialing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCuteMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, this is a spinoff of another thread in another forum. I'm curious to hear what you guys know.

Is it possible to get credentials and malpractice insurance in order to perform surgical procedures (let's limit it to appys and cholecystectomies) by completing a residency in one field and subsequently training in JUST these procedures (forget the logistics of this, let's just assume you could find a way to do 50, 100, 200 of them with the proper supervision). Someone on another forum is suggesting this as a possibility and it just kind of gets my BS meter up.

1) I doubt any hospital would credential someone who had NOT trained in surgery to perform these procedures. Yes, ANY hospital - I don't even think the tiniest little hospital in the tiniest little one horse town would, for fear of having the pants sued off them.

2) Even if you COULD get credentialed, could you EVER actually get malpractice coverage to perform said procedures.

Since you guys are the ones with the experience, I'd love to hear what you think (or better, know).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

all kinds of people do all kinds of things if you are in the right place and know the right people.

if you are a FP doc who did a 6 week rotation on the lap chole service and you are in the middle of nowhere (not sure if this exists in the US)
then maybe you could get away with this.

It is rumored FP docs do appy's. they certainly do C-section which arguably could be considered a major surgery.

look at all the FP's and poor internists looking to make a fast buck by doing veins and botox. even the dentists are getting into this!!

the real question- why would you want to?

Yes, you could do this.
There are FP "rural" tracks and what not that could allow you to practice this way in 50 or less bed hospitals in the backcountry.
Remember that PCPs(mostly FPs) first assist in surgeries in some more rural communities on a regular basis.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you could do this.
There are FP "rural" tracks and what not that could allow you to practice this way in 50 or less bed hospitals in the backcountry.
Remember that PCPs(mostly FPs) first assist in surgeries in some more rural communities on a regular basis.

Yeah, but keep in mind I wasn't referring to a track that involved residency training in these procedures.

Thanks for the info guys, you've pretty much supported what I believed.

If you aren't referring to an FP rural track or someplace like The Shouldice Clinic (which has non surgeons doing hernia repairs), then yes, it would be fairly difficult, if not impossible, to get credentials to do surgeries in any hospital without being BE in surgery which requires completing a residency.

I suppose anything is possible, but without training and without the random small town hospital so out of the way that it cannot cough up enough dollars to recruit a surgeon, it would be unlikely (especially since most hospitals and insurance companies want BE, if not BC, and malpractice insurers are unlikely to insure you).

Perhaps the others in the thread you are speaking of are confused about the difference between FPs who are surgical assists.