o0rikio0o

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2007
Status
so i've read that quinolones are contraindicated in the pediatric population due to animal models showing arrested cartilage growth plates, so what should be given to children rather than quinolones? lets say for example a UTI...

WhatUpDoc!

The Sign Says It All
10+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2005
Somewhere, USA
Status
Attending Physician

waster

10+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2008
Status
Medical Student
first line for uncomplicated UTI is going to be trimethoprim or nitrofurantoin.

Stitch

Jedi Ninja Wizard
15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2002
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
so i've read that quinolones are contraindicated in the pediatric population due to animal models showing arrested cartilage growth plates, so what should be given to children rather than quinolones? lets say for example a UTI...
there's pretty widespread quinolone resistance going around, and I wouldn't recommend treating a UTI in either population with a quinolone (wonder if the adult guys would agree, but that's what I've been reading lately). Amox is fine if you know it's something like e. coli, same for omnicef. Without knowing, however you have to account for other enterics. "Never treat an entero with a cephalo' is a good motto to have due to induced resistance during treatment. When I see a UA suggestive of UTI, I generally use Septra/Bactrim unless there's a known history with a specific bug and documented susceptibility. Younger kids (say under 6-8 months with assumed pyelo) get IV cefotaxime or ceftriaxone in addition to ampicillin.

rotatores

15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
first line for uncomplicated UTI is going to be trimethoprim or nitrofurantoin.
Umm..no! Never once seen Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) used in pediatrics, unless maybe for a pregnant teenager. This is typically an OB med.

CrazyPeds527

Admitted Scrubs Addict
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 24, 2007
West-ish?
Status
Resident [Any Field], Attending Physician
The empiric treatment may vary from hospital to hospital based on local resistance rates. For example, we don't use a lot of amoxicillin because our local resistance is approaching 20%, instead we use cephalosporins and bactrim.

In peds, i haven't seen quinolones used in pre-pubertal kids without ID's giving their approval in the setting of very resistant bacteria or patient medical allergies.

The quinolone problem (arthropathy, joint cartilage problems, etc) has only been studied in beagle puppies (try to get that pediatric study past the IRB!) which is why ID folks will give the OK for special situations.

bks524

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
There have also been reports of tendon rupture in adults following quinilone use

Marigold

Kid Doctor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
In accordance with local resistance patterns, we typically use a 3rd gen cephalosporin...like Suprax (cefixime) or Vantin (Cefpodoxime).

generic

Senile Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2004
Houston
Status
Attending Physician
I do see urologists using Nitrofurantoin(s) for chronic suppressive therapy in children with known VUR

Also, CF patients get ciprofloxacin fairly often...I wonder at what age they decide it's OK to use? Of course, that's a different population that often needs antibiotics that you wouldn't ever use in an otherwise healthy child...