Question regarding Texas dental licensure.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jec463

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a question regarding becoming a licensed dentist in the state of Texas (I am asking this question for my mother)

Here is her background
1. Trained/licensed dentist who graduated dental school in South Korea
2. Trained/licensed dentist who graduated from a US accredited Uni to become a Periodontist
3. Worked as an actively licensed periodontist in California between 2004-2008
4. Returned to South Korea to work as a licensed general dentist from 2008-2016
5. Maintained an active Californian dental license as a Periodontist (currently active)

I live/work in Texas and my mother wants to return to the States and work as a Periodontist in Texas to be near me. Will she be able to just get a Texas dental license via credential, or will she have to re-take the regional boards, etc?

The reason I ask this is that Licensure by Credentials | Texas Dental Board shows that she would have had to

Have practiced dentistry:
  1. for a minimum of three (3) of the five (5) years immediately preceding application; or
  2. as a dental educator for the five (5) years immediately preceding application to Texas
and it gets confusing because she DID practice dentistry for 3 out of 5 years, but it was outside of the USA.

I tried contacting the Texas State Board, but they always take weeks to respond and rarely pick up phone calls..

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.