Licensure after residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chaela

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a foreign-trained dentist doing orthodontic residency in the US (3-year program).
I recently took the ADEX exam and passed.

Does anyone know if I would be eligible to apply for the New York dental license?
So a rundown on my education is that :
1) I am from a non-accredited dental program (4 years of professional education)
2) US accredited Ortho program (3 years)
3) I have fulfilled the more than two years of preprofessional (non-accredited program but I took courses in organic chemistry, etc that NY board asks for)

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

DDS/DMD from USA + Minimum 1 year of AEGD/GPR for NY lisence.

I asked the NYBD myself. For those who are interested, if you graduated from a non-accredited dental school and have finished a US residency, you need two years of advanced standing OR 2 years of AEGD/GPR. (a 1-year AEGD can count towards the 2 years that you would have to fulfill. And they don't have to be done in consecutive years).

Reactions: 1 user
I asked the NYBD myself. For those who are interested, if you graduated from a non-accredited dental school and have finished a US residency, you need two years of advanced standing OR 2 years of AEGD/GPR. (a 1-year AEGD can count towards the 2 years that you would have to fulfill. And they don't have to be done in consecutive years).
Similar situation different specialty. So you're saying we need 2 additional years or AEGD or GPR after specialty, not one?