Question regarding Texas dental licensure.

Started by jec463
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jec463

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello All,

I have a question regarding becoming a licensed dentist in the state of Texas (I am asking this question for my mother)

Here is her background
1. Trained/licensed dentist who graduated dental school in South Korea
2. Trained/licensed dentist who graduated from a US accredited Uni to become a Periodontist
3. Worked as an actively licensed periodontist in California between 2004-2008
4. Returned to South Korea to work as a licensed general dentist from 2008-2016
5. Maintained an active Californian dental license as a Periodontist (currently active)

I live/work in Texas and my mother wants to return to the States and work as a Periodontist in Texas to be near me. Will she be able to just get a Texas dental license via credential, or will she have to re-take the regional boards, etc?

The reason I ask this is that Licensure by Credentials | Texas Dental Board shows that she would have had to

Have practiced dentistry:
  1. for a minimum of three (3) of the five (5) years immediately preceding application; or
  2. as a dental educator for the five (5) years immediately preceding application to Texas
and it gets confusing because she DID practice dentistry for 3 out of 5 years, but it was outside of the USA.

I tried contacting the Texas State Board, but they always take weeks to respond and rarely pick up phone calls..

Thank You!