question: tramadol verus trazodone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacology888

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering is there any relationship between tramadol and trazodone? I know one is an analgesic and the other is an antidepressant; both have the ability to increase levels of NE and 5 HT (so Serotonin Syndrome is cautioned with concomitant use due to 5 HT increase). I think have heard once that one is a metabolite of the other but I couldn't find any information on this, so I think I misheard. Can someone please clarify?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The two drugs aren't related. Trazodone is a weak SSRI and blocks 5-HT(2c), 5-HT(2a), H-1 receptors, and alpha-1 receptors. Tramadol binds to μ-opiate receptors and weakly inhibits the reuptake of NE and 5-HT. Both drugs have metabolites.

Source: Lexi-Comp

The two drugs aren't related. Trazodone is a weak SSRI and blocks 5-HT(2c), 5-HT(2a), H-1 receptors, and alpha-1 receptors. Tramadol binds to μ-opiate receptors and weakly inhibits the reuptake of NE and 5-HT. Both drugs have metabolites.

Source: Lexi-Comp

The rest of the MOA... Tramadol Also inhibits the reuptake of NE and 5HT. It is essentially a weak TCA - however it is not used for the treatment of depression (as most TCAs aren't these days)

Ultram is a pretty weak drug - with few, if any niches for therapy. I have seen it used as a primary pain regimen for dogs post-surgery...

One is not the metabolite of the other however

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The rest of the MOA... Tramadol Also inhibits the reuptake of NE and 5HT. It is essentially a weak TCA - however it is not used for the treatment of depression (as most TCAs aren't these days)

Ultram is a pretty weak drug - with few, if any niches for therapy. I have seen it used as a primary pain regimen for dogs post-surgery...

One is not the metabolite of the other however

You see it used in dogs primarly? Then why is it on my speed shelf. Its used a lot, I see a lot of er scripts for it, usually someone who thinks it the good shiet... Surprise!

There are increasing issues with tramadol abuse. Pharmavixen may be able to shed light on what she sees. But I've heard it is really difficult to get off of.

My dog doesn't much care for it. I think it may taste icky and it nakes her very lethargic- she won't come out from under the bed and loses her appetite. Of course she has CKD and arthritis, so that's our major option available for her.

You see it used in dogs primarly? Then why is it on my speed shelf. Its used a lot, I see a lot of er scripts for it, usually someone who thinks it the good shiet... Surprise!
Um. "a primary pain regimen for dogs post-surgery..." indicates that tramadol is the drug he usually sees for dogs post surgery, not that that's primarily what he sees tramadol used for. :p

Tramadol has made it to the same level as Soma on the non-control which I treat as control list.
You cannot treat non controls as controls. You are rediculous you do not make the rules and are robbing people of their treatment.

This thread started in 2009. Back then, Soma and tramadol were not controlled. Since then, both have become controlled drugs.

I was reading this thread and getting so confused, lol, then I looked at the dates. This was back when Norco wasn't a CII yet, wasn't it?

Reactions: 1 users
You cannot treat non controls as controls. You are rediculous you do not make the rules and are robbing people of their treatment.
We literally do enforce the rules.
Don't like it?

Write your representatives and ask them to write laws that would remove corresponding responsibility from pharmacists

Reactions: 1 users
Everything out of context...look @ the post dates & when Tramadol changed schedule status.

Trazodone also has odd 5-HT receptor characteristics...it's an antagonist @ lower doses typically used as an adjunct (improve sleep often) but an agonist @ higher doses (weight based, clinical pharm -can not recall the exact weight based dosing, but usually >150mg/day). No significant anticholinergic properties unlike the TCAs

Last edited: