question with solubility/precipitates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoyohomieg5432

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really trying to grasp the overall concept with these types of problems. This question was from AAMC test 5: what was most likely the identity of the precipitate formed when NaCl was added to Cd(NO3)2?

is Cd(NO3)2 considered a complex ion? so it exists in a solid form, and when placed in water it can be broken up into Cd2+ and 2NO3- . In the solution is also Na+ and Cl-. I can then imagine that Cd2+ and Cl- interact to form CdCl2.

There is NO way to tell whether this actually precipitates, right? It's just hypothetically speaking if a precipitate were to occur it would be CdCl2? To actually determine whether a precipitation occurs we would have to know the concentration of Cd and Cl to calculate the Q and then compare it to Ksp for CdCl2 and from that we could tell whether or not it precipitates, right?

Members don't see this ad.

An important MCAT skill is to read the answer choices as well as the passage and the question stem.

Obviously, given those answer choices, they are asking you for the charge-balanced formula of cadmium chloride. You figure that Cd is 2+, you know that Cl is -, you answer the question, and you move on.

Just answer the question and move on. Worrying about concentrations and Q values and Ksp on a question like this is a good way to waste time and get a lower score.

I'm really trying to grasp the overall concept with these types of problems. This question was from AAMC test 5: what was most likely the identity of the precipitate formed when NaCl was added to Cd(NO3)2?

is Cd(NO3)2 considered a complex ion? so it exists in a solid form, and when placed in water it can be broken up into Cd2+ and 2NO3- . In the solution is also Na+ and Cl-. I can then imagine that Cd2+ and Cl- interact to form CdCl2.

There is NO way to tell whether this actually precipitates, right? It's just hypothetically speaking if a precipitate were to occur it would be CdCl2? To actually determine whether a precipitation occurs we would have to know the concentration of Cd and Cl to calculate the Q and then compare it to Ksp for CdCl2 and from that we could tell whether or not it precipitates, right?

I believe you are correct - you need to know the concentrations and solve for Q, and if it is less than Ksp, than it hasn't precipitated yet.