Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odoreater

Cybernetic Ghost
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I am new to this side of the student doctor forums---I had usually posted in the EM or IM forum when I was seriously considering doing either. Basically I am a 4th year who had applied for an EM match this year but after a number of bad experiences in the ED I decided (very last minute) that it wasn't for me and have withdrawn myself from this years match. After a lot of soul searching about what I truly want in a medical career (money and lifestyle issues aside) a good friend of mine who has just matched into a NY optho program began to talk with me about it. I must admit that it isn't somehting I had even considered or looked into before (one doesn't get exposed much to the more esoteric specialties while a medical student) but he made it out to be something I would be very interested in (of course he has a natural bias).

So now that I am stuck at school for another year I have scheduled an elective for March (a full 4 week clerkship). I am keeping my mind open but assuming I do like it I have some basic questions.

1) My stats---I have done decently well in med school---step 1 I had a 237/Step 2--I will take in March/ I am AOA at a top 30 school. I know this sounds like a dumb question but how competitive am I for an optho spot next year? I do not know much about it---does it vary by region (I am in NY and would like to stay in and around this state).

2) With the year off (aside from doing away electives in what ever I choose to do---assuming I chose optho) I would like to do research. Asuuming I chose optho I would want to do research.Do any of you ave advice about setting up optho research. How did any of you going about doing it?

3) any other words of wisom I would greatly appreciate.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to answer.

Members don't see this ad.

You should read the options outlined in this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100975

A pre-residency fellowship/research position is likely your best bet. You'll need to call individual programs to inquire if they have any available positions for research. You may want to complete 2 ophthalmology clerkships too. Make yourself known to the ophthalmology faculty.

BTW, your step I score is fine for ophthalmology.