Question???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nobshiebot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

At what point should a premed start considering foreign medical schools (e.g. Caribbean, Ireland)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're looking to land a residency spot or practice in the US one day, I would advise against foreign medical schools. I'm not saying that it can't be done but the ones who do succeed going that route are few and far between.

I actually think there is a place for Caribbean schools, although it's not for everyone by any means.

If you've demonstrated significant drive and academic ability without success in DO/MD applications for 3+ years and are a fairly wealthy person, I think Caribbean schools are an okay last ditch choice. Definitely not ideal.

I actually think there is a place for Caribbean schools, although it's not for everyone by any means.

If you've demonstrated significant drive and academic ability without success in DO/MD applications for 3+ years and are a fairly wealthy person, I think Caribbean schools are an okay last ditch choice. Definitely not ideal.

Unless you committed a felony or have serious institutional actions on your record, I can't think of a single good reason to pursue Caribbean.

Unless you committed a felony or have serious institutional actions on your record, I can't think of a single good reason to pursue Caribbean.

Except for the reasons I outlined earlier and the reasons you just mentioned? o_O

Hey all!

At what point should a premed start considering foreign medical schools (e.g. Caribbean, Ireland)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

OP, I'm guessing that you're asking this because your options are limited with US med schools. This could be either because of (said above) a felony, or perhaps just low scores/gpa. In any case, attending these schools is contingent upon your drive to receive an MD. If this field truly is your calling, you'll do whatever you need in order to get there. You'll have to keep in mind that the foreign schools you listed are not really on the same level as med schools that your friends and peers will be going to. As such, attaining a residency will be all the more difficult. What is important to realize is that if you do go to one of these schools, this is (in some ways) your last chance. If you are on the lower end of your class when you graduate from these foreign places, you won't have a real shot at becoming a doctor. And at that point, you'll have already spent far too much time and money to give up on medicine.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, if foreign schools are your only option, just start thinking about the different possible paths you might take by going to these schools. You could do well, get a residency back in the states, and get back on track. Conversely, if you do poorly, that could be the end of it (unless you have a backup plan).

Except for the reasons I outlined earlier and the reasons you just mentioned? o_O

If you've demonstrated lack of success with MD/DO and you haven't done what I said in my first post, then you're doing something wrong. I repeat, Caribbean should NEVER be an option.

The only reason a foreign school should be a consideration with the current residency situation is if you are hell bent on becoming a physician and would be willing to practice in another country in order to do so. If you can land EU citizenship, EU schools are a reasonable option, as you will have alternative countries in which to practice if the US doesn't work out. Or, as was said above, if you have hundreds of thousands of dollars to blow, you can give the carib a shot and if it doesn't work out, you're just short some cash. Other than that, can't see a good reason to go abroad for med school.

If you've demonstrated lack of success with MD/DO and you haven't done what I said in my first post, then you're doing something wrong. I repeat, Caribbean should NEVER be an option.

There are a certain number of mid range applicants who aren't necessarily doing anything wrong who simply fall through the statistical cracks. Not 100% of people who can succeed in medical school get in. If you have a 60% chance to get in (this would be with a mid range GPA and MCAT), then you have a PRETTY GOOD chance to get in after 3 attempts. This is not 100%.

There's a lot to dislike about Caribbean schools, I agree. I disagree that they have no place at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for the feedback! It's always nice to address an issue from different perspectives.

It's interesting that you mentioned Ireland. Does anyone know if they have the same reputation as the Caribbean? Are all foreign graduates less competitive for residencies by the same margin, regardless of the country?

It's interesting that you mentioned Ireland. Does anyone know if they have the same reputation as the Caribbean? Are all foreign graduates less competitive for residencies by the same margin, regardless of the country?

Someone who graduates from Oxford or Cambridge is more well regarded as an IMG than someone from University of Santo Tomas in the Phillipines. Caribbean schools likewise, note the latter.