Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedgal555

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so i'm a senior at a top 30 school and am applying to med school this summer. I have a pretty good gpa (3.85 overall and science), have done a lot of clinical stuff and other EC's. I'll probably have good rec's from some professors, OK rec's from others, and great rec's from the MD's I've worked with. I'd like to go to a top 20 medical school, but I think my MCAT score will be a limitation....I got a 30 (10BS, 9VR, 11BS) last April and think I'm going to take it again this April. But, I'm really busy w/ a job search for next year, plus working, plus schoolwork and I'm worried that I'm not going to be prepared enough. So, my question is whether others have gotten in to top med schools with similar stats (and enjoyed their last semester of college!), or if I should make the MCAT my b*%ch for the next month and a half and try to go up 3-4 points. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

your #s are pretty good. i wouldn't limit your choices to top schools, regardless of your mcat score--you'll just be setting yourself up for disappointment--but i'm sure you'll get in somewhere.

It looks to me that you are sitting pretty good. You don't have anything to worry about.

As far as taking the MCAT again, it's a good idea if you think you can do better, but what if... ;)

Anyway... good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that with your 30 you will have a hard time getting into a top 20 med school. You are correct, 3-4 point will significantly improve your chances. You may want to consider taking the Aug if you dont want to prepare for April. Just submit your primary application by June, check the box saying that you'll be taking the August MCAT. With the 30 you should get 2nd from most top schools--many are automatic 2nd's. A few schools prescreen ie Stanford, Vandy, and others.

The main problem people face with taking the Aug mcat the year you apply is that schools will have to wait for the score to continue. With a 30, your app can be completely processed by the time you get your score back. And by that time you will only miss being in 1-2 committee reviews.

Just know if you want to get into a top 20 school, a 33+ will improve your chances a lot.

bah, i got a 30 and still got interviews at all the top 10 schools except for harvard and wash u. st. louis. if you feel confident about the rest of the application, don't do august because it'll cause them to review your application later and give you unneeded stress. Plus, if you actually score lower, you just SCREWED YOUR LIFE.

Yeah only retake if you can do more than 3 points better. If you retake and get a 31, that's even worse than just a 30.

Are you an underrepresented minority?

i was in your exact situation except that i had a 29 on the MCAT. same GPA though, and good letters and ECs. i was accepted to 4 top 20 schools (I applied to probably 9 or so), as well as some MD/PhD programs. i also considered retaking the MCAT but did not have the time to devote enough effort to significantly raise my score. i think you should just apply as is.....

Thank you all so much for your input--it's nice to get some second opinions. I think I'm going to take a full length sometime this week (it's our spring break, and what better way to spend it than taking practice MCATs??? :) ) and see how I do...if I'm getting in the low 20's, I don't think I can improve THAT much in such a short period. We'll see.....also, I'm not an under represented minority (I'm white).

Thanks again, all!