Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kandygyrl

FM's Bailey
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first time posting so please bear with me. I am in the process of preparing for the upcoming medical school admissions process. I need a little advice. I have taken the MCAT twice before with scores that I currently cannot remember (It has been 3 years since taking the test but somewhere in the mid twenties). I have been studying and taking practice tests and I am feeling more and more confident about the material.

I applied for the 1998 class and received admissions to Howard, however for reasons that I don't want to talk about I was unable to attend. I am now able to reapply and I want to improve my MCAT score. I am not sure if I should take the test in April or wait until August and submit my applications. Since the qualification of the candidates have improved, I don't know where I fit in.

I have been out of the loop but recently received a Masters in Education. I am dedicated to this process and my goals, I just feel out of the loop. Can someone give me some advice about how to start this process again.

Thanks,
Kandygyrl

Members don't see this ad.

kandygyrl:

I would find out from the schools that you are interested in applying to if your MCAT scores are still valid. Some school will accept scores that are up to 3 years old...I think are some schools which even take scores from farther back than that (but they may be in the minority).

If you scored well enough to get accepted then, you should still be in good shape, especially considering you additional life experience and education.

Schools do not like to see the MCAT taken multiple times...twice is enough. Plus, this can give you a chance to relax if you do not need to take it again!

Again, find out if you scores are still ok. Also, knowing your exact score and breakdown (B, V, P) would be very necessary.

I commend you on your desire to follow through with your original plans. Medical schools like to see applicants who are confident and realize the sacrafices they will be making by pursuing this goal.

I am sure you will do well and I look forward to seeing your name on many more posts in the future!

Best of luck to you!

Make sure you remain in good contact with your undergraduate institution and the premedical advisor(s).

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"