Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denise00

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a undergrad student thinking about majoring in computer science i want be a doctor but didn't want to major in biology like everyone else but i need to know if it is possible to major in computer science and be excepted into medical school or do i need to major in biology or some sort of pre med program could some one tell me.
P.S. of course this is all pending that i do well on my MCAT.

thanks for all replies
Denise

Members don't see this ad.

If you do a search on "majors" you will probably uncover an absurd number of threads on this topic. Major in whatever you want/like, do the necessary prereqs. for med school (and obviously do as well as possible), do well on the MCAT, and you should be fine. As long as you are majoring in something you like (ie, are passionate about), it won't have a negative bearing on your application, and it might actually help set you apart if it's not a "typical premed" major.

I majored in computer science and it really hasn't been mentioned too much during my admissions process. A few interviewers were interested in the comp. sci., however, and said they thought the logical thinking skills required of a comp. sci. major would translate well into medical research and clinical skills. Plus, the practice of medicine uses computers more and more these days (for procedures as well as prescription writing, etc.). If you are interested in comp. sci., I think it's a great major and you should go for it! As an added bonus, it could stand out a bit more on your application than being a biology major (although you might have a more difficult time in med school ultimately because you will not have as much hard science background). Also, keep in mind that comp. sci. is no longer included as part of your "science" average (don't ask me why!) for your AMCAS application, although any math prereqs you take WILL count toward your science GPA.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a BA in Mathematics, and I'm in my second-year of med school. Major in whatever you want, but don't major in something just because you think it'll get you in -- often times the numbers don't tell the full truth.

Tim W. of N.Y.C.

[if it is possible to major in computer science and be excepted into medical school][/QUOTE]

If you want to be excepted do horrible on your MCAT and get bad grades. If on the other hand you want to be accepted into med school, kick butt on the MCAT and the pre-req's and you'll be in there! Sorry...I couldn't help myself. Best of luck to you!

That was pretty funny. Sorry Denise.

I am a computer science major, and was accepted into my 1st choice school (UTMB). I dont think that majoring in CS will hurt you...the only real problem I ran into is that the classes take a LOT of time (programming, doing ER diagrams, writing software requirements, etc). However, I think it actually helped me get in...My thesis is on bioinformatics, which sort of tied in my interest in biology with my major. Major in whatever you want to...just major in something that YOU like, not something that you think adcoms will like.

Good luck!
Star