• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
B

BlackPuma

vimentin is a marker of what? it says mesenchymal, but the answer choices were adenocarinoma, fibro something, prostate, melanoma, and something else...does anyoene know

B

Blade28

I agree, use the web. A quick search on Yahoo! using the keyword "vimentin" reveals this as the first hit:

"Vimentin is of limited value as a diagnostic tool; however, when used in combination with other antibodies (in panels) it is useful for the subclassification of a given tumor. Expression of vimentin, when used in conjunction with keratin, is helpful when distinguishing melanomas from undifferentiated carcinomas and large cell lymphomas."

(from http://www.cellmarque.com/2000/Pages/catalog/vim.html)

B

BlackPuma

Blade28 said:
I agree, use the web. A quick search on Yahoo! using the keyword "vimentin" reveals this as the first hit:

"Vimentin is of limited value as a diagnostic tool; however, when used in combination with other antibodies (in panels) it is useful for the subclassification of a given tumor. Expression of vimentin, when used in conjunction with keratin, is helpful when distinguishing melanomas from undifferentiated carcinomas and large cell lymphomas."

(from http://www.cellmarque.com/2000/Pages/catalog/vim.html)
no I disagree with using the web, when I did a search on it, I got all kinds of responses..

the best marker for melanoma is S-100, and the question had Vimentin alone not with keratin......so I don't think melanoma was the answer....although now that I think of it...lymphoma might have been one of the options...

hmmm....vimentin wasn't in BRS...but a couple of sources mentioned it is a marker for mesenchmyal origin...

About the Ads