1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

question

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by BlackPuma, Apr 10, 2004.

1. vimentin is a marker of what? it says mesenchymal, but the answer choices were adenocarinoma, fibro something, prostate, melanoma, and something else...does anyoene know

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Olanzapine

Olanzapine Membership Revoked
    Removed

4. I agree, use the web. A quick search on Yahoo! using the keyword "vimentin" reveals this as the first hit:

"Vimentin is of limited value as a diagnostic tool; however, when used in combination with other antibodies (in panels) it is useful for the subclassification of a given tumor. Expression of vimentin, when used in conjunction with keratin, is helpful when distinguishing melanomas from undifferentiated carcinomas and large cell lymphomas."

(from http://www.cellmarque.com/2000/Pages/catalog/vim.html)

5. no I disagree with using the web, when I did a search on it, I got all kinds of responses..

the best marker for melanoma is S-100, and the question had Vimentin alone not with keratin......so I don't think melanoma was the answer....although now that I think of it...lymphoma might have been one of the options...

hmmm....vimentin wasn't in BRS...but a couple of sources mentioned it is a marker for mesenchmyal origin...