Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rafael Cavalcan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm finally taking EMS class next semester, this is something I really wanted to do for a long time. This is a 7 credit class, and I'll be taking 17 credits not counting the EMS class.( Biochem, Physio, and Physics 2 included). I was just wondering how hard the class is, and how much work it is?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

If your serious about your class load your going to have an issue in my opinion. biochem is a lot of memorization and pathways...physiology depending on the level taught can get really complex in systems analysis and biochemical pathways and physics 2 is fairly intense.

I assume you meant a BLS EMS class. Like for an EMT certificate/certification? Its fairly time consuming but not nessessarly hard. I wonder if you are going to have enough time to keep up with the work and take these extra 7 credits. I hope your not planning to work if you do.

I talk from a little experience as I took near 25 credits with everything added up while was was going to my undergraduate classes in the morning and my paramedic classes at night and my hospital rotations inbetween. It was a time I'll never forget.

The EMT-B class is time-consuming, (as in the number of hours attending class/practical labs) but not hard. If you are taking college level biochem, physio (assuming you already took anatomy), then you will have no problems with the cognitive aspects of the class -- you will most likely be bored with all the introductory stuff. Practical lab is more fun, but not hard either. Depends on your instructor if there will be homework. If there is, it will be at the busy-work level. I was the Director of Training for a collegiate EMS squad, and helped to teach an EMT-B class. We have 30-40 people pass the EMT class each year with no problem while they are also carrying full-college course loads... (One I think even was taking 24 credits before the EMT class - so 31 credits total - had no problem)

So in summary - lots of hours, but lots of fun too and you should have no problem with the load :)