1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

question

Discussion in 'Pre-Hospital [ EMS ]' started by MicrobeHunter, Apr 24, 2004.

1. MicrobeHunter

MicrobeHunter Member
    7+ Year Member

This must sound stupid, but I was wondering if you learn phlebotomy in EMT-B.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. oudoc08

oudoc08 Please pass the gas...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No. No sharp objects in EMT-B, w/ the exception of perhaps assisting someone w/ an EpiPen.

4. beanbean

beanbean 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You learn phlebotomy skills as an EMT-I in terms of starting IVs and drawing bloods. EMT-I is an additional class after you become an EMT-B. It is not recognized in some areas and the class hours vary from state to state.

5. hakksar

hakksar Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It depends on your state. Some states require EMT-I to do phlebotomy. In Colorado, EMT-B's can perform phlebotomy and give IV's with an extra 20 hour class (2, 8 hour combined classroom/practice days and clinical time to get 20 IV sticks), in some other states (I believe Utah is one but I am not sure) EMT-B's learn IV's and Phlebotomy as part of their initial training. It depends on where you are at.

In addition, Colorado has an EMT-I certification that allows EMT-I's to do all the IV stuff, intubate with a combi-tube, administer approximately 20 medications, pace and defribrillate without an AED.

6. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    hakksar has it right. Things vary from state to state unless they follow the DOT national EMT curriculum. Georgia was one state that allowed "EMT-B's" to start IV's, use EOA/EGTA/Combitubes, use MAST/PASG, use AED's, and even start IO lines. When Georgia adopted the new DOT curriculum, they created an EMT-I category. EMT-B's now are better-trained first responders, whereby EMT-I's now do all the stuff that former state EMT-B's did. Georgia did not, however, adopt EMT-I's administering drugs.

Why am I telling you all this? Because it varies significantly from state to state. Which state are you in, Microbe?

7. MicrobeHunter

MicrobeHunter Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm moving to Virginia. Thanks for the answers. I was asking b/c I've found tons of phlebotomy jobs, but they want at least someone w/ training.