Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mj1878

Water good...
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much weight is really given to the written essay score of the MCAT in consideration for osteopathic schools? A lot? A little? Do they even look?

Members don't see this ad.

Osteopathic, like allopathic schools, don't generally put too much weight on the writing score. In fact, osteopathic schools tend to put less weight into numbers in igeneral than allo schools do. They try to have a more holistic approach to you as a future physician than as an amalgamation of MCATs and GPAs. So while those numbers are critical, osteo schools weight other elements of your application quite heavily.

depends how bad you really did.

If you got an M or better.. than stop complaining.. it will be fine.
Even if worst... it prob will be okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got L on it and still got accepted at COMP. I have also had interview at another school. English is my second language despite speaking English for a long time. Don't stress.

I've heard your ps and secondary essays carry more weight than your writing score. I think they have considered how much time (or lack there of) they give you on the MCAT.

I agree with what everyone else said...

They are going to make their own judgements of your writing abilities by your personal comments and other essays that they might have from your secondaries.

As long as you pass the writing sample, your are fine.

-bigtime