question..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbloggs

jbloggs
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dr. Doan, this post is directed primarily to you, but anyone is free to respond.... How would you view an applicant who had above average board scores, honors in a couple rotations, and 2 ophtho publications with several presentations, but failed a couple MS1/MS2 exams?

Members don't see this ad.

JR said:
Did they actually put this information in the Dean's letter?

I'm not sure...I think our Dean's Letter works by giving just one sentence about our MS1/MS2 grades. I'm not sure how they actually word it.

Members don't see this ad :)
as an outsider to the world of ophtho, I suggest you apply to the specialty that interests you the most.

most people agree that ms1/ms2 grades aren't that important. Obviously ophtho is very competitive so you'll be competing with many junior AOA superstars.

But with strong letters and some publications you'll demonstrate strong interest in the specialty. Apply broadly, and see what happens. You can always go for something else in the regular match as a backup; but if ophtho's what you really want, don't give up without trying.

jbloggs said:
Dr. Doan, this post is directed primarily to you, but anyone is free to respond.... How would you view an applicant who had above average board scores, honors in a couple rotations, and 2 ophtho publications with several presentations, but failed a couple MS1/MS2 exams?

I don't dig that far into it, and MS1/MS2 grades are at the bottom of the things I looked at.

Good luck! :thumbup: