Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beamer128

You can stand anything for 10 seconds
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
This is probably a stupid question, but I was wondering if students in med school get summer vacation. If they do, do they typically do medical school related activities in the summer (i.e working in a hospital, research, etc.)? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, between 1st and 2nd only. People do anything they want including vacation, travel, research, clinical stuff. I recommend that you have fun, you don't get much time off until 4th year. :)

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know what types of activities med students do in the summer time after that summer between the first and second years?

This was my med school summer schedule:
MS1-2: 3 months
MS2-3: 6 weeks (you will use a lot of this time studying for step 1)
MS3-4: a weekend (but i have had three months off so far this year, so no complaints about this)..

There are numerous opportunities to do things b/w MS1 and 2 years. Some do research, go to medical camps, tutoring.....many do NOTHING (not a bad option, since second year is a real bear!). It largely depends upon what your interests are..doing something during this time may be helpful (but not necessary) for your residency applications (not to mention the $$$$)...

Good luck.