question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocWannabe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the first time I have posted to this forum, though I have enjoyed reading for quite some time. Anyway, if I take some of my prerequisites (such as chem I and II) in the summer, will this effect the way med schools look at my application? I ask because I will be a junior at the close of this semester, and I have not taken any of the required sciences yet. I figure I can get a jump on them if I get Chem I & II over with this summer and move on to Orgo, etc. in the Fall. But, I don't want to risk it if it will look bad. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Remember, you are presenting a package to the med schools. If you don't do well in any of your other pre-req courses but do well in the summer courses then that might raise some eyebrows. However, if you do well over the summer, in o-chem in the fall and subsequently on the MCATs, why would there be a problem? They are looking at the overall qualifications you present. Concentrate on presenting the appearance of a well rounded candidate. If you do that it shouldn't matter when you took your chem coursework. The only concern I would have is not how the med schools would see it but rather will you be able to really assimilate all that material in such a short period of time? BTW, I took Chem II over the summer and did fine in O-chem in the fall.
smile.gif