Question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As far as the exp. goes in applying to pharm schools, aside from directly related pharm exp, is it ok if we do things like tutoring? volunteering at a hospital (not directly pharm related? research in a biology lab? will these sorts of things help in the pharm application process???

And for the pharm exp., working in a general pharm at the register counts?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As far as the exp. goes in applying to pharm schools, aside from directly related pharm exp, is it ok if we do things like tutoring? volunteering at a hospital (not directly pharm related? research in a biology lab? will these sorts of things help in the pharm application process???

And for the pharm exp., working in a general pharm at the register counts?

thanks

This is totally my guess, because I don't sit on a pharm adcom, but I've done similar things and when we looked for "volunteer experience," it needed to be something meaningful, and not volunteering just to be able to check the 'volunteer work' box, or 'volunteering' in an area that would untimately be to the applicant's immediate benefit rather than doing volunteer work for the benefit of others in the community (showing committment to community). For example; I gave much more volunteer credit to the person who spent two Saturdays a month in the quilting circle at the local senior citizen's home talking to widowes and Alzheimer's patients, than I did to the ones who 'volunteered' in the area where they were seeking employment (i.e. networking, but trying to pass it off as volunteering). Does that make sense?

As for the work experience, I'd say that for it to be considered true pharmacy work, it would have to be someplace where you actually handled scrips, maybe took some patient calls, recorded (accurate) messages for the pharmacist, or other things directly related to pharmacy. It sounds to me like you're describing a cashiering job that just happens to be in a pharmacy, and without actual pharmacy experience, it's just a retail cashier, nothing more.

Again- these are my opinions- I don't sit on pharm school adcoms.