Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jameiorelse

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still in high school and just started getting into the whole "future" thing. Does it matter which undergraduate premedicine program i get into? What's the best university for this? Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by jameiorelse
I'm still in high school and just started getting into the whole "future" thing. Does it matter which undergraduate premedicine program i get into? What's the best university for this? Thanks so much.

Well you don't necessarily have to be in a premed program. :) You should major in whatever you're interested in, and also do your med school prereqs beyond that.

go to a school with a good reputation and good premed counselors. everything will ultimately be determined by how much work you put into it, but a school with a good rep and good counselors will make everything easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where do you live? Are you looking to stay in your area?

From what I've seen it really doesn't matter too much where you go. Like Street Philosopher said, it all comes down to what you do when you get to college, not necessarily where you go.

Unfortunately,

I think it does matter where you go for undergrad (to some extent). I can't help but notice how many of my classmates went to Stanford, Berkeley, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, U of Chicago, UCLA, Brown, Yale, etc. Yes, there are some that went to 'lower tier' schools, but the majority of my classmates went to very well-known and highly 'ranked' schools.

I do believe that someone with great accomplishments can get in anywhere, but I do think the your undergraduate reputation does give you a little bit of assistance. I think the same thing goes for residency. Someone who kicks ass on the USMLE and in their clinical rotations will land a sweet residency, but I think those of us that go to highly ranked schools have a little more playing room. From what I've heard, the lower third of a class at schools like Hopkins, Harvard, Duke, UCSF, etc.. still lands kick ass residency.