Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EbonyTiku

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a student presently at a community college trying to transfer to university of Louisiana to pursue my bachelors of science in nursing,I am 20 years old,typically average student.I was hoping to do a post graduate degree before applying to med school.However,just wanted to find out depending on the fact that I am just an average student and who wants to stand out,coupled with bad health i am handling,what are the things i can or have to do to stand out,pls help.I feel only the smartest get into med school ,but I don't want my dreams to fail.pls Help

Members don't see this ad.

Is English your first language?
Being URM will help.

Why nursing? Major in nursing if you want to be a nurse. Nursing is a good profession with the possibility of gaining additional education, training and experience to advance in the field.

If you feel that you want to be a doctor rather than a nurse, accept the fact that >50% of those who apply for admission to medical school do not get in. That figure is the same for URM (minority applicants) so disregard anyone who says that you will have an easier road if you are a minority.

Major in a subject you enjoy and that you can do well in. Grab an opportunity to help in a research lab at the university. There are summer research programs (SURF Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships) that provide opportunities for research experiences.

Step up to the plate and be a leader in your university or your community. This could involve seeing an unmet need and helping to motivate and organize others to address the situation. This can involve anything from disaster relief to bone marrow donor drives.

Learn more about all of the health professions. There are many non-physician professionals who treat patients and one of these other professions may be a better fit for you.