Questionable Resident Evaluation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hallux123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend has a Residency Director who has been known to treat residents in a manner which has caused some concern, and actually has been noted to the CPME.

Now, the Director has sent out a "Comprehensive Composite Resident Evaluation" and has asked that all the residents fill in the sections regarding things they have done, such as research projects, papers, etc.

Then there is a section called "Disciplinary Issues/Actions". The Director added the note in this section stating "you're in trouble if there's stuff down here".

The kicker is that he wants the residents to ONLY complete the sections regarding their projects, papers, and such. Then he wants them to sign the eval and return to him for him to fill in his evaluation and comments and stated that the residents WILL NOT have the opportunity to see what he puts there and in his email he stated, and I quote, "I only fill it in after you sign the form. You do not get to see it. I do get the last word."

The form clearly states that "Resident signature acknowleding above"...and above includes the sections where the Director fills in his "last words" and which the Resident is not allowed to see, defend, or appeal.

I think he made the form himself, as there are obvious typos. It has the hospital 'letterhead' making it look official, but a professional residency form would not have these typos and we know the snide comments are his.

Tell me, has this happened to anyone else? I told my friend that signing it without reading what he states is paramount to giving someone a blank check. I recommended that legally he should not sign a blank form such as this, as it could cause problems later, as it would look like he knew what had been said and isn't protesting the information.

My friend is forwarding this to his Director's boss to ask if knew about this and to state that he does not feel it is legal or ethical to sign a blank form such as this, as first the email says it is confidential, yet he also says that it would be copied and sent to other places if needed.

This is the same Director who pushed for several residents to "resign".... due to his funding had been cut and he wanted to use money he did receive to recruit more 1st years and dump several of the 2nd & 3rd years.

Now comes this "requirement". Comments????? This seems so wrong to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't EVER sign ANYTHING that is blank. EVER. From anyone.

Ah, you are learning well grasshopper. This is advice that should be followed with NO exception.

Members don't see this ad :)