questioning during 1st year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clearcolor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any others else in their 1st year (or another year) of the clinical psych PhD and ever questioning what they got themselves into (maybe in a fantasy way, maybe more seriously)? Even after having "done your research" before applying and choosing to attend...

Members don't see this ad.

I am an applicant but I can tell you that is something I am already worried about. It seems like it would be a great fit, and I have been told that I will love grad school, but there is a part of me that fears that as well.

Care to go into what you are experiencing? Obviously you don't have to, but talking about it could possibly help both you and I. Feel free to post or PM but I hope all is well. Good luck!

I'll go into it, it would just be easier for me if I just knew I wasn't alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course!

I left a very promising and successful career to move 2000 mi away, commit 5-7 years to psychology, AND start all the way back at the beginning of a field......so yeah, I had some doubts. :laugh: All of my friends initially thought I was crazy to leave my career, but after I explained to them my reasoning....most of them came around. Looking back on it now, it was the best thing I could have done.

I'm now a few years in, and there are definitely days when I wish I was just doing a 9-5, but then I realize i'm doing this for a reason. I already did the 9-5 and it wasn't rewarding. For me, I have far more days where I love what I do, than when I question what I do.....and I had the opposite when I was in my old career. Something lik 70% of people would do a different career if they had a choice....I didn't want to be part of that 70%.

-t

Any others else in their 1st year (or another year) of the clinical psych PhD and ever questioning what they got themselves into (maybe in a fantasy way, maybe more seriously)? Even after having "done your research" before applying and choosing to attend...

I think its natural to question any major decision in your life and for most people starting clinical psych/med school etc. is the biggest leap they have taken in their lives. Because you have "done your research" you are more prepared for this than you think you are. There is always the chance it won't work but I think you would have stronger feelings at this point if that were the case.

I questioned the lack of supervision I was receiving. Given that things weren't getting better after a few months, I questioned some more and then applied elsewhere. I am very happy in my current program :) Hence, I strongly recommend programs with a separate M.A. degree - it's much easier to flee if you have to....